• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Different suit cuts for different seasons?

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a practice to have slightly different suit cuts for different seasons of the year? If there is, what are the suggested cuts for the various seasons, particularly winter and summer?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
1) Avoid DB in summer. Who needs that extra flap of cloth?

2) Vests for fall & winter.

3) 3-button coats on sportier suits (linen &c. for summer, heavy tweeds for winter) and odd jackets.

Beyond that, it's all a matter of personal preference.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is my style, and please don't confuse this with "the gospel according to manton": one-button suits for the warmer months three-button suits for the colder months

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Good God, do I need to make the ritual "wear what you want, I'm not the fashion police" disclaimer every time I post?  Maybe I should make it my signature ...

EDIT: Done. That should hopefully end all confusion about where I stand.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
manton, just teasing.
tounge.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I was too, but now that I see it, I like it.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'll have to change mine too. michael jackson is starting to look guilty.

quill

Reaction score
Could it be the "glove vs. mitten" idea? In other words, a mitten is supposedly warmer because there is more room for the warmed air from your hand to circulate. So in winter, would a more traditional, not-so-fitted cut allow more warmed air to circulate than a closer-fitting, more tailored fit? Or would the difference be negligible, and should I mind my own business? (By the way Manton, I love the new signature.)

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Different fabrics, of course, but different cut ?
eh.gif
If you are asking about suits and sports coat, then the cut is defined by your style & your fit, not really the temperature outside. If you are more fashion forward, then I would advise against slimmer cuts for the summer, unless they are of the thinnest cotton. (I have a nice pair of Helmut Lang white trousers of thin oxford which, albeit slim, are perfect for the summer). Designers usually make baggier clothes for the summer, flare pants instead of tappered, blouses instead of shirts ...etc And, please, none of these Miguel Adrover overpriced ethnic crap. Luc

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1) Avoid DB in summer.  Who needs that extra flap of cloth?
Of course, if it's really humid and nasty out, a DB jacket will draw the curtain of charity over the state of one's shirt. Not too comfortable, but by definition we're somewhat past that point.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton,Mar. 17 2005,16:45
1) Of course, if it's really humid and nasty out, a DB jacket will draw the curtain of charity over the state of one's shirt. Â
I will never forget an August meeting in a SOHO loft sans air conditioning. Double breasted was no protection. I sweated through my shirt AND my seersucker suit. Will

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads