• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Different suit coat with different suit pants

Champagnedreams

Reaction score
Hi, first time poster, long time viewer.
Recently Ive been buying a lot of suit coats but they are without suit pants.
The coat brands are Brioni, Turnbull, Canali, couple Savile row ones. But my suit pants are a black and navy from J.crew.
Could I pull off the "suit" look with different brands of coat and pants but same color?

Thanks, Derek.

flirtkakat

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Can be done obviously, but shouldn't be.

63AMG

Reaction score
The answer on this forum is going to be an emphatic: absolutely not.

Do not try to wear the jacket with different, similar color pants and try to pull it off as a suit. Looks terrible. On the other hand, you can try wearing the jackets as blazers/SC with different color pants. 95% of people can't tell that it's an orphaned suit jacket. Again, not the best look, but you're probably stuck with those jackets so may as well put them to use!

Champagnedreams

Reaction score
What if I have or purchase suit pants with the same material/weight and shade as the coats (which are solid colored)? Or could I go to a bespoke tailor and have very similar material/color picked out and tailored for me? Any suggestions to this problem are welcome Lol seems ive dug a hole for myself as well as my pockets.

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What if I have or purchase suit pants with the same material/weight and shade as the coats (which are solid colored)? Or could I go to a bespoke tailor and have very similar material/color picked out and tailored for me? Any suggestions to this problem are welcome Lol seems ive dug a hole for myself as well as my pockets.
They will not look right. There is no way to match the fabric closely enough. This would be worse than trying to pair them with odd trousers.

If you are committed to the jackets, take them to a tailor, have the buttons replaced. Then you will not look quite as much like you lost your suit trousers.

Champagnedreams

Reaction score
Thats a good idea, thanks.
Im gonna try my hardest and see if I can find a way to pull it off.

Champagnedreams

Reaction score
However, I am curious as to why it could not be pulled off? Say I have a black 120's worseted wool of lets say- Brand A.
If I purchase a black 120's worseted wool pant of Brand B, couldn't this work??

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
However, I am curious as to why it could not be pulled off? Say I have a black 120's worseted wool of lets say- Brand A.
It won't match. One trip to the cleaner will change the color enough for it to be noticeable, and that is if you were actually able to match the same fabric. There are so many different shades of the same colors. Really, don't try. Better to treat them as what they now are: odd jackets. Get different buttons, buy different colored trousers and most folks will never know.

63AMG

Reaction score
Agree with everyone else--there is no way you'll be able to match the jackets with new pants.

You can change out the buttons and stuff if you want--but again, most people can't tell (at least in America anyway) that it's an orphaned suit jacket.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The color is still unlikely to match exactly. There are all sorts of subtle variations in color that will create issues. The best you can do as others have said is try to make some modifications to the jackets to make them look less like orphaned suit jackets. If you're going to the trouble of going to a bespoke or even MTM tailor, I suggest just having them make suits for you (consider an extra pair of pants so you don't end up in a similar situation after your suits wear out).

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If bespoke was an option, you wouldn't have orphaned suit jackets. Return the jackets and get your money back, or wear the orphans and hope for the best. Those are the only real options.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads