• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Different shoe trees = different fit?

rsmcclelland

Reaction score
So I recently purchased some AE park ave, fifth ave which are supposed to be on the same last. However, the AE store had a deal on the PA where you got a free shoe tree with purchase (these).

I put them in my FAs, and used one from Nordstrom Rack for the PAs (similar to these). The toe portion of the AE tree seems a bit bigger than the NR one, and it seems to have made the two shoes fit a bit differently. Not that one is better fitting than the other, just different. I also have the mcallister and strand, which have the NR trees in them and fit similar to the PAs which have the NR tree in them.

Because I'm paranoid, I wanted to see if one of the trees was better than the other. Are the AE trees better in any way than the NR ones? Also somewhat related, would it be a bad idea to swap shoe trees between the shoes since they are different shapes/sizes?

Keyboard Warrior

Reaction score
A good shoe tree should fit as closely as possible to the original last. Those you mentioned are generic shaped and are made to fit a range of shoes. So I wouldn't worry much

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are some shoe trees that fit better than others. I have 1/2 a dozen different brands/models of shoe trees. I always make sure the shoe trees are matched with the shoes that they fit best.

For example, my woodlore epics fit some of my shoes rather poorly, so I use the standard full tree.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.