1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Different shades of navy between suit trousers and dress socks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by charles111, Jan 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. charles111

charles111 Member

This is a picture of the dress socks I purchased. I put it against my suit jacket to illustrate the color contrast. The lighting makes my suit look almost dark grayish, but it's dark navy (not the darkest navy though). The dress socks I bought are also labeled as dark navy, and it looks like it's around the darkest shade of navy. Are the dress socks too many shades different from the suit's navy to wear with the suit?

IMG_1862.jpg

2. GBR

GBR Distinguished Member

Not at all. Too much folk law and nonsenses spoken about such things. Few will notice, fewer even care if they did notice. Just don't erect a barrier to wearing them together for yourself: You have set off down that road by even asking the asking the question, turn round quickly and put them on!

3. jdp234

jdp234 Senior Member

If your trousers and socks are approximately the same brightness and saturation as one another, color doesn’t matter very much.

4. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

Don’t waste even a moment concerning yourself with any closer a match!

5. FlyingHorker

FlyingHorker Senior Member

The principle behind "matching socks and trousers for a suit" is to create an unbroken silhouette that draws your eyes towards the person's face.

In contrast, wearing contrasting socks or tan shoes with a dark suit would draw your eye towards the feet.

So it doesn't necessarily have to be exact. The combination in the OP is close enough to not make a negative impact on creating that unbroken silhouette.