• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Differences the "Tanker" lines of Porter and Head Porter

shugon

Reaction score
Hello,

Both Yoshida & Co's "Porter" label and the brand Head Porter makes a variety of products belonging to the famous "Tanker" line. For the purpose of this thread, I'll be referring to Yoshida and Co's "main" Tanker line (ignoring offshoots like "Tanker Black" or the different anniversary collections), and to the "Tanker-Standard" and "Tanker-Original" lines by Head Porter.

1) First off, are there are differences between the lines of each brand? They are seemingly identical with many common items and I have no idea why an essentially same collection is made under two different brands, even more so considering Yoshida & Co produces everything for Head Porter - or so I've heard (more on this below).

2) Once and for all, what is the relation between Yoshida & Co and Head Porter? Is Head Porter a sub-label or sub-brand? Or is it actually an independent company? (that would be really odd because a. Head Porter shares a name with Yoshida's most popular label, b. I believe Yoshida is the de facto manufacturer of all Head Porter's products, c. Head Porter sells many of Yoshida's most popular designs - whether unsubtly in their original form or a variant of it, and d. Each Head Porter product is stamped with the famous "Yoshida & Company - PORTER - Tokyo Japan" label.

Thanks!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Headporter is something that can only really happen in Japan. It is a store that was founded by fans of the Porter brand, specifically to sell Porter items, and ended up collaborating with the Porter brand to make specific Headporter specific Porter items.

shugon

Reaction score
  1. So Head Porter is an altogether independent brand?
  2. And are there any differences between the main Tanker line by Porter and both the Tanker-Standard and Tanker-Original of Head Porter?
  3. And what's the relation between B JIRUSHI YOSHIDA and Yoshida & Co? I'm asking because everything B Jirushi sells is made by Yoshida & Co, including blatantly taken from Yoshida & Co's catalog without any alternations (like the Gripper series). And in this case too the Yoshida & Co tag is on every product.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
  1. So Head Porter is an altogether independent brand?
  2. And are there any differences between the main Tanker line by Porter and both the Tanker-Standard and Tanker-Original of Head Porter?
  3. And what's the relation between B JIRUSHI YOSHIDA and Yoshida & Co? I'm asking because everything B Jirushi sells is made by Yoshida & Co, including blatantly taken from Yoshida & Co's catalog without any alternations (like the Gripper series). And in this case too the Yoshida & Co tag is on every product.
1. Yes and no. The Headporter Plus brand of clothing is, AFAIK, completely independent.
2. Probably again, yes and no, The products are all made by Porter, but some of them are exclusive for Headporter.
3. B is a like that Porter has done for the Beams chain, afaik.

I'm not sure why you would say that the products are "blatantly taken from" the Porter catalogue, as if it were a bad thing, or somehow dishonest. It's like most collaborative collections. There are going to be iconic pieces that are sold with some minor adjustments, at most, and co-branded. The plethora of sneaker collaborations are the best example of this.

shugon

Reaction score
God forbid I meant that in a negative way! My intention was that some items sold by Head Porter are taken from Yoshida's catalog without any alternations and modificiations at all. Just a bad use of words, I apologize for that.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
God forbid I meant that in a negative way! My intention was that some items sold by Head Porter are taken from Yoshida's catalog without any alternations and modificiations at all. Just a bad use of words, I apologize for that.
No worries. But it's not a surprise, seeing the Headporter started off purely as a retailer of Porter products.

xdawes23

Reaction score
Headporter is something that can only really happen in Japan. It is a store that was founded by fans of the Porter brand, specifically to sell Porter items, and ended up collaborating with the Porter brand to make specific Headporter specific Porter items.
@LA Guy Wow, I didn't know that Porter fans started Headporter!

I recently had the chance to get my hands on a Porter "Tanker" briefcase and a Headporter briefcase. Both bags are more or less exactly the same in design and materials. However, the Headporter briefcase was the better bag because it was simply more practical as it had more pockets. For instance, the HP has a mesh pocket and little pocket on the side. I keep my headphones in the mesh pocket, while I keep change, lip balm, and floss in the little pocket. In addition, they also have a useful velcro pocket in the front for quick access, I usually keep my keys in there. On the inside, the HP has a large zipper pocket, slot pockets, and pen pockets. On the other hand, I didn't like the clear plastic pocket and the lack of a zipper pocket in the interior of the Porter. I think they both cost roughly the same, but I would choose HP without hesitation.

The quality of these bags are outstanding. The stitching is great and I can see this bag lasting me a lifetime. Its the Japanese culture to design something to the utmost standard and its in their blood that if they designed something that does not reach or surpass their very high standards, then they will probably go out into the garden and commit suicide. I don't see any designers from Filson or Saddleback jumping out and committing Harakiri because something wasn't an instant sell. These people fear losing face more than anything. To them losing face is to lose honour, and to lose honour you dishonour your ancestors.

Porter briefcase in Green.

Headporter briefcase in Navy.
HP-2847-NAVY_2.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics