1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

    There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.


    Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Differences in UK shoe widths?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ncdobson, Dec 3, 2012.

  1. ncdobson

    ncdobson Senior member

    Nov 6, 2011
    W. Illinois
    I posted this question in the C&J thread but got no love. So, I'll make it into a general English shoe question.

    I own 5 pairs of English shoes & 2 pairs of boots. 4 of 5 shoes (2x AS, 2x Cheaney, all avg width) are a little narrow & rub at the instep. The only exception is the very generous AS 7WK last. Both pairs of boots (1 Barker F, 1 Hogg by Cheaney G) are super comfy. Should I go up a width (F, or is it G?) for future English rtw shoes? or will I be swimming in them? I guess the question is, how much difference is there between English shoe widths?
  2. Percy Trimmer

    Percy Trimmer Senior member

    Mar 31, 2006
    North Shields, England
    Beware, English manufacturers use different fitting letters.

    For C&J E is standard, but (in my experience) F is not particularly wide.

    Church and Cheaney use F as standard but G is definitely wide.

    I hope someone like Bengal Stripe will chip in here with a link to a more complete guide.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  3. konda

    konda Senior member

    Oct 20, 2011
    Well... English shoes tend to, in general, be of average F or wider G fit and that's it. The typical British shoe is an F (US D) or a G (US EE). You very seldom find any other widths. Based on what you wrote, a G might do the trick. But if you have a low instep, then you are out of luck and just need to compensate with tongue pads. In many British shoes the good old Brannock device will point you the right way so measure your feet first.

Share This Page

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by