• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Differences in collars?

cmrocks

Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with the differences in dress shirt collars; I was hoping someone could help me out a bit.

I recently bought a white dress shirt by APC. I was planning on wearing it with my grey vneck sweater and with my black button cardigan. The problem I had was when I put it on it seemed like the collar was too stiff or too strong if that makes any sense. It stood up way too far. If I undid another button then it fell really far away and looked bad. It's hard to explain what I mean. I tried both sweaters on with another shirt of mine, this time with a floppy collar and it looked a lot better I thought.

What kind of collars should I be looking at here?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I know what you mean. The collar acts like one big straight piece of plastic, right? This is how my bespoke shirt acted at first, but a few washes made it softer.

It seems like the go-to shirt for sweaters is the button down collar, which is always soft in nature. Personally, I'd just look for any collar that's softer constructed if you think it'll be a problem in the long run, or you like your collar points to come out of the sweater (like I do). If you want something very special, you can always go for a canvassed collar.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
The problem I had was when I put it on it seemed like the collar was too stiff or too strong if that makes any sense.

Does the collar have stays? If so, try removing them.

masterpp

Reaction score
im quite feeling the whole stiff collar look this season, and i think it even looks cool with a v kneck.

just an unusual shape.but i hasten to add, i think enormous stiff collers popping out over aroundkneck looks stupid

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads