Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Differences in collars?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cmrocks, May 31, 2006.

1. cmrocks

cmrocks Senior member

I'm not too familiar with the differences in dress shirt collars; I was hoping someone could help me out a bit.

I recently bought a white dress shirt by APC. I was planning on wearing it with my grey vneck sweater and with my black button cardigan. The problem I had was when I put it on it seemed like the collar was too stiff or too strong if that makes any sense. It stood up way too far. If I undid another button then it fell really far away and looked bad. It's hard to explain what I mean. I tried both sweaters on with another shirt of mine, this time with a floppy collar and it looked a lot better I thought.

What kind of collars should I be looking at here?

2. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I know what you mean. The collar acts like one big straight piece of plastic, right? This is how my bespoke shirt acted at first, but a few washes made it softer.

It seems like the go-to shirt for sweaters is the button down collar, which is always soft in nature. Personally, I'd just look for any collar that's softer constructed if you think it'll be a problem in the long run, or you like your collar points to come out of the sweater (like I do). If you want something very special, you can always go for a canvassed collar.

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

The problem I had was when I put it on it seemed like the collar was too stiff or too strong if that makes any sense.

Does the collar have stays? If so, try removing them.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

It sounds like your shirt has a high collar.

5. masterpp

masterpp Well-Known Member

im quite feeling the whole stiff collar look this season, and i think it even looks cool with a v kneck.

just an unusual shape.but i hasten to add, i think enormous stiff collers popping out over aroundkneck looks stupid