• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Differences in collars?

cmrocks

Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with the differences in dress shirt collars; I was hoping someone could help me out a bit.

I recently bought a white dress shirt by APC. I was planning on wearing it with my grey vneck sweater and with my black button cardigan. The problem I had was when I put it on it seemed like the collar was too stiff or too strong if that makes any sense. It stood up way too far. If I undid another button then it fell really far away and looked bad. It's hard to explain what I mean. I tried both sweaters on with another shirt of mine, this time with a floppy collar and it looked a lot better I thought.

What kind of collars should I be looking at here?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I know what you mean. The collar acts like one big straight piece of plastic, right? This is how my bespoke shirt acted at first, but a few washes made it softer.

It seems like the go-to shirt for sweaters is the button down collar, which is always soft in nature. Personally, I'd just look for any collar that's softer constructed if you think it'll be a problem in the long run, or you like your collar points to come out of the sweater (like I do). If you want something very special, you can always go for a canvassed collar.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
The problem I had was when I put it on it seemed like the collar was too stiff or too strong if that makes any sense.

Does the collar have stays? If so, try removing them.

masterpp

Reaction score
im quite feeling the whole stiff collar look this season, and i think it even looks cool with a v kneck.

just an unusual shape.but i hasten to add, i think enormous stiff collers popping out over aroundkneck looks stupid

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 110 33.4%
  • 8”

Votes: 99 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.9%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%