• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Differences between two blazers

Horses

Reaction score
I'm not knowledgeable about classic wear. How would you describe the difference between these two blazers? It's difficult for me to tell, perhaps because one image uses a model with a vest. I am looking for a slim blazer for work, and lean toward clothing that is classic and is less likely to go out of style rather than a trend that will look dated in several years. I plan to own and wear the blazer for a long time

http://www.josbank.com/1905-collection-slim-fit-blazer

http://www.josbank.com/joseph-2-utton-slim-fit-navy-blazer?rrec=true

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One is far to short and should be burned. In common, they are both too cheap to be of any quality and should simply be avoided anyway. How else would you be able to wear it if you did not own it?

Horses

Reaction score

I'm talking about the sentence in the opening paragraph -- which is what you were referring to in your older post. The other one is a mobile typo... I can't tell if you're giving attitude or not.

papa kot

Reaction score
Horses, you'll get a lot of crap for showing these blazers here, but fear not: You're on the right track. Try both of them on and get the one that fits better. If you're on a younger side, I'd vote for number one on the list. The currency in the ads tells me that you're on the left side of the pond and in North America this should do it for starters.

Now, there are quite a few of extremely knowledgeable individuals on this forum. Many have disposable income, time and no shortage of critiques. They may tell spot fit that is off by a fraction of an inch or frown upon seeing fabric that is not up to some standard. Do yourself a favor and politely ignore such folks. What they say may be true (and in many cases it is), but it may not be relevant to your situation. Buy what fits you and what you can afford. Feel good and carry on.

Peace~

Last edited:

Horses

Reaction score
Horses, you'll get a lot of crap for showing these blazers here, but fear not: You're on the right track. Try both of them on and get the one that fits better. If you're on a younger side, I'd vote for number one on the list. The currency in the ads tells me that you're on the left side of the pond and in North America this should do it for starters.

Now, there are quite a few of extremely knowledgeable individuals on this forum. Many have disposable income, time and no shortage of critiques. They may tell spot fit that is off by a fraction of an inch or frown upon seeing fabric that is not up to some standard. Do yourself a favor and politely ignore such folks. What they say may be true (and in many cases it is), but it may not be relevant to your situation. Buy what fits you and what you can afford. Feel good and carry on.

Peace~
Thanks for the advice. I understand there is a level of interest in fashion that I'm not a part of, and maybe this board isn't for me. I have no problem with people being deeply interested and informed about fashion, though. I have an interest in art history that the average person doesn't, and actually do appreciate looking at clothing, but to me buying clothes feels like a chore. It's difficult because I'm slender and most people in America are fat or obese, so much of the clothing in stores where I live doesn't fit.

Some men, probably older men, don't care what they look like. Others, probably younger men, try to be fashionable but look ridiculous or trashy. I fit into a category of men interested in self-improvement. I want to wear clothing to fits relatively well, makes me look attractive, and is appropriate for a given situtation, but I'm not as concerned about things that most people won't notice. There's another category, which is what you mentioned, where men are interested in self-improvement, but they are also deeply interested in the "art of fashion" if you will.

I haven't been able to find a community for men who fit into my category. I don't think men should be in the "don't care" or "trashy" categories, but I also don't think it's necessary or even possible for most men to be in the higher category. There should be communities helping men like myself, though. We need it. Most men aren't taught by their fathers how to dress well. I had to learn to shave by myself through trial and error. Now, there are YouTube videos that teach kids when their fathers don't. Kind of nice but also sad.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Peace~

Quite correct. I'd burn them but I didn't think the OP wanted to read that!!

papa kot

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I understand there is a level of interest in fashion that I'm not a part of, and maybe this board isn't for me. I have no problem with people being deeply interested and informed about fashion, though. I have an interest in art history that the average person doesn't, and actually do appreciate looking at clothing, but to me buying clothes feels like a chore. It's difficult because I'm slender and most people in America are fat or obese, so much of the clothing in stores where I live doesn't fit.

Some men, probably older men, don't care what they look like. Others, probably younger men, try to be fashionable but look ridiculous or trashy. I fit into a category of men interested in self-improvement. I want to wear clothing to fits relatively well, makes me look attractive, and is appropriate for a given situtation, but I'm not as concerned about things that most people won't notice. There's another category, which is what you mentioned, where men are interested in self-improvement, but they are also deeply interested in the "art of fashion" if you will.

I haven't been able to find a community for men who fit into my category. I don't think men should be in the "don't care" or "trashy" categories, but I also don't think it's necessary or even possible for most men to be in the higher category. There should be communities helping men like myself, though. We need it. Most men aren't taught by their fathers how to dress well. I had to learn to shave by myself through trial and error. Now, there are YouTube videos that teach kids when their fathers don't. Kind of nice but also sad.

This community is it. It may not sound like on the first try, but in general folks here are extremely knowledgeable and nice. The issue is that the more you learn, the more you will realize that some of the standard choices we made in the past could be improved :) However, only a relatively small fraction of people is in the know. So when you wear a blazer for $150 that fits you well, only a few will be able to say "Oh.. it is fuzed and the waist should be -1." You may get to that point too, but I hope that you don't forget that all of us started somewhere...

If you are a slender dude, give J.Crew a try. Their suits are affordable, but the prices tags are accompanied by the lower level of quality that may not be tolerated here. Still, if a suit fits and you feel good, wear it for now. If you really have an odd size, try http://us.suitsupply.com/. You will pay more, but there is a good chance that the suit you choose will fit you better.

In any case carry on. And without seeing pics of you wearing either one of the jackets mentioned above, it is hard to give you a recommendation.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just FYI re the above post, the lowest level of a Suitsupply suit starts at $399. A J Crew Ludlow suit in wool is over $600 retail. Both are half canvassed and are likely the cheapest half canvassed off-the-rack reasonably readily available suits in North America. J Crew only has two fits/styles and limited colours (navy, charcoal, gray etc) Suitsupply has a range of fits/styles and a wider voice in colours and fabrics.

Horses

Reaction score

In any case carry on. And without seeing pics of you wearing either one of the jackets mentioned above, it is hard to give you a recommendation. 

This is the 2nd, slim 37 regular. I realize that I buttoned the 2nd button. If it's too lose, is that something a seamstress can fix?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The waist can be nipped fairly easily but that's a bad fitting suit. Look how the vents are flaring open. Also the wrinkles on the back of the upper arm indicate poor sleeve pitch which means re-attaching the sleeves at a different angle which is difficult,'costly, and may not be worth it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads