• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Difference in styles?

FSUSem1noles

Reaction score
Is there a major difference in styles? between like Brooks Brother and Tommy Hilfiger? I'm not referrig to jeans, but Tommy's Dress line.

AmericanDevil

Reaction score
UVA, WOOHOO. Sorry, couldnt resist. Anyways, Tommy's dressier line is more or less for the semi-formal affairs, and can even look really good at more classy affairs, with a lot of other younger people around, like 20-25, but for your in-law's black tie affair events, you need to get something a little less fresh and fall in line with brooks brothers, just something mature and classic.

Europe's Finest

Reaction score
Are you from Tally???

FSUSem1noles

Reaction score
I was I graduated in 00', I reside in South Fla now
tounge.gif

GQ Tiger

Reaction score
I've considered Tommy Hilfiger and Ralph Lauren's Polo line as a more casual, all be them, expensive, lines. You know? Right around with Nautica and such. If you want dressy, go with Purple Lable, Donna Karen, or one of those flashy euorpean labels

1234 1234 C-L-E-M-S-O-N T-I-G-E-RRR-S, FIGHT TIGERS, FIGHT TIGERS, FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Tommy Hilfiger's dressier stuff, Brooks Bros, and RL Polo are all in the same WASPy white bred American style. Nautica's dressy stuff is close to all of that too. Brooks Bros. is more conservative than the others, Polo is more outdoorsy, Nautica is more.. nautical? Hilfiger's stuff is right around the middle, pretty versatile actually although I have a thing against him for all the logo crap so I don't buy his stuff. I would get some of his ties, and shirts, but they all have logos on them.

Note to designers: REAL DESIGNERS do not embroider LOGOS on TIES.

j.

Europe's Finest

Reaction score
@ FSUSem1noles: Because of my job I've to stay here for the next three month before I return to Europe.

Could you please give me some names and locations of good stores with great fashion?.?
Unfortunately, I didn't found any...you would be a BIG help.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
heh j i think exactly the same thing of hilfiger. When i was going to school in toronto there would be a million indian immigrants all wearing stuff with huge TOMMY HILFIGER logos and acting like they were from the bronx. They were like walking billboards, I swear to god... A number of these gangsta' wannabes even tried to talk like black people from the projects, it was hilarious. I was 17-18 around that time and i havent even walked into the hilfiger section in a store since then.

Abe2

Reaction score
I must disagree with J's comment "Real designers do not place logos on ties".

This is patently untrue, and the logo can be a very pleasing aesthetic image when repeated, and produce beautiful ties. Whether or not you choose to buy the tie is irrelevant to the fact that logo ties are very common.

Some examples:
Pierre Cardin loves to put his "P" logo at the widest part of the tie at the bottom.
Burberry ties often have the word "Burberry" or the horse repeated throughout the tie.
Hermes uses its horse logo in most of its gorgeous ties.
Gucci places G's liberally.
Brooks Brothers places its sheep logo on many of its ties.
Even Salvatore Ferragamo places its "omega-buckle" logo in its ties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads