Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Difference in Grensons?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Dec 20, 2004.

1. demeis

demeis Senior member

I got a pair of grenson masterpieces recently after hearing so much about them on the forum i decided to spend the extra $40 on them. I was wondering though, this being my first high end pair of shoes, what makes the masterpieces so much better than the $200 feathermasters? I have never really seem a feathermaster and i don't have to many highend shoes to compare them to and i was wondering what the differences are? Also how do you tell the two apart along with the other lines of grensons. On a side note, i really love my grensons they fit wonderfully and as far as i can tell they are really high quality (this i'm comparing them to Bostonians and Bass shoes i own), but i'm still new to highend mensware.

thanks
    Nik

2. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Feathermasters are made from grain corrected leather and the soles are stitched aloft. The masterpieces have higher quality full grain calf leather and the soles are channelled. l don't know the advantages of a channelled sole however all the true high-end shoes are done with channelled soles usually. Channelled soles involve more craftsmanship. l am not the best person to ask but l am sure other members can enlighten you more. Â Note grain corrected leather would be more prone to splitting. Grain corrected leather has a plasticy finish and doesn't age well. lt is also damaged (by insect biting the animals etc) grain leather thus lower in quality.