• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Difference in detail customization between MTM and Bespoke

paradoxical3

Reaction score
I just ordered my first MTM item, a navy sportcoat from a well regarded local tailor. I did as much research as possible beforehand, and I had a good experience at the shop.

That being said, I'm confused at the difference in customization between bespoke and MTM. I've searched and read a lot of threads here, but the experience most people report wasn't consistent with what I experienced today. People seem to say that on bespoke, "every detail can be customized" where on MTM, you're stuck choosing between "a few different stock models" which have limited customization.

I realize that bespoke is based on a pattern that is unique to me, and this isn't the case with my jacket - there isn't multiple fittings, just one "adjustment" fitting and then a final fitting (where hopefully I can take it home). However, I was able to customize literally any aspect of the jacket I wanted. I chose the fabric, lining, lapel width, gorge placement, armhole height, functional cuffs, the number and type of buttons, pocket types, interior pockets, etc. Aside from the fit, what is there possibly left to customize from bespoke? Is the unique pattern and better fit the only advantage?

Last edited:

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
When you go bespoke, you get to make a thread about your experience. When you go MTM, you get to make a thread about asking about bespoke.

paradoxical3

Reaction score
When you go bespoke, you get to make a thread about your experience. When you go MTM, you get to make a thread about asking about bespoke.

That settles it, I'll do bespoke next time.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on MTM program. Some have little customization options while others let you change just about anything.

E TF

Reaction score
I think CDHagg posted once something to the effect that there was no point going bespoke if you couldn't have obviously customized details so that everyone knows its bespoke. This is completely arse about tit, and is the sort of thinking that leads to contrast stitching around your button holes.

Customising the details is a fun but minor benefit to both MTM and bespoke. If anything, in my experience, MTM programs offer more customisation opportunities than bespoke. In bespoke, the cutter will have an opinion on what suits you, and what suits the cloth you've chosen, and you'd be mad to disregard them - it's part of what you're paying for. And half the time the tailor does what they fancy doing anyway. Indeed I would be suspicious of any place that offered complete freedom to direct things like armhole height, lapel width, gorge placement - I mean, we might talk about my preferences, but it's basically their job to get that sort of thing right.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And half the time the tailor does what they fancy doing anyway.

Yes there are many tailors like this and it sucks. At least if they know what they're doing their advice is worth having, but I had to switch tailors several times (and this wasn't even bespoke, just RTW alterations) because they insisted in hemming my pants at floor height.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quite right

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To me, the major difference is in getting a cut that is perfect for your body more so than the details one is able to select.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka