• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Difference between stylish and effete?

coatandthai

Reaction score
For me, cufflinks, monograms, fitted shirts, horsebit loafers, logoed polo shorts, collar bars, and Hermes ties are just too much. Where do you draw the line between fashionable and foppish?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I agree that wearing all of those items at once would be a bit too much. Individually, though, with the exception of the monograms and the logoed polo shirts, I think that all can work given the correct individual.

As for me, I don't worry about the line between fashionable and foppish. I trust my aesthetic sensibility and wear what I like and what I think is appropriate.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's your choice and your line.

gregory

Reaction score
Individually, though, with the exception of the monograms and the logoed polo shirts, I think that all can work given the correct individual.
I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand. Does this mean you do not like logoed polo shirts and monograms?

I have monogrammed shirts from Jantzen, but they are monogrammed in the yoke so no one gets to see them.
I also bought several Lacoste polo shirts recently.

For me, I do not like anything that is loud. Cuff links, tight shirts, monograms, Hermes ties, logoed polo shirts can be subtle/simple and hence acceptable. But ocassionaly it might be considered stylish to wear, say, a very plain white shirt with jeans and an outrageous pair of cuff links.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand. Does this mean you do not like logoed polo shirts and monograms?
Yes, that is what I mean. I think that if Polo or Lacoste want me to advertise their shirts, they should pay me to do so instead of me paying them. As for monograms, I can remember who I am, so I don't need them. Discreetly done, however, I have no objection to them for others if that's what they want.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I hate those Gucci hats with monogram G's all over them. It looks so tacky/stupid/rediculous/angering.

And I also think the men's Seven for all mankind jeans have a pretty effete cut.. I don't care for it.

Cufflinks I love, and all my shirts are "fitted" (otherwise I don't wear them).

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, cufflinks, monograms, fitted shirts, horsebit loafers, logoed polo shorts, collar bars, and Hermes ties are just too much. Â Where do you draw the line between fashionable and foppish?
Yeah, fitted shirts are really foppish..I much prefer to have heinous amounts of fabric billowing forth.
confused.gif

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Well, there's fitted, and then there's fitted. Of course you want any piece of clothing to fit according to your proportions. But, some men wear shirts that fit on them like a second skin; unbutton a few buttons and you've got Saturday Night Fever for the new millennium. The look is feminine - I'm not into it.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In order to wear a properly fitted suit, one needs a properly fitted shirt. The two go hand-in-hand.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can someone please define the words 'foppish' and 'effete'?
i don't know what you guys are talking about.

i agree that it is tacky to wear clothing with logos/advertising on them.

there is a big difference between something that is fitted and something that is tight. too many people are using these words interchangeably.

what's so different about an hermes tie?

i don't like jewelry on men, so that leaves out collar bars and cufflinks, though silk knots are cool on formal occasions.

gregory

Reaction score
Can an exception be made for the crocodile? I just bought four of them.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NO EXCEPTIONS...
wink.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Oh, I think it will be fine as long as your collar is up...
wink.gif

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, that is what I mean. I think that if Polo or Lacoste want me to advertise their shirts, they should pay me to do so instead of me paying them. As for monograms, I can remember who I am, so I don't need them.
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads