• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Difference between stylish and effete?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Foppish or effete connotates dandyism. Now, by my signature I am a full proponent of dandyism.

Stylish seemingly suggests someone who likes modish things, and wears them. Most likely Gucci, Prada, and etc. Well dressed is somewhat different. And effete is perhaps hairdresser styles with lots of gold jewellery.

But really there is no specific category for what you have mentioned. It's all very relative.

High_Roller

Reaction score
I think it really depends on the person and attitude. I don't expect to see a priest or a business man wear a pop art Donatella Versace shirt. However, with some people (say, people who work in the arts, or younger guys), I could see them looking good in something like that. What really matters is the overall demeanor in which the person wears something. I like to have an open mind when it comes to clothes. I'm willing to give anything a chance. Well, almost anything.

General Koskov

Reaction score
I seen it written (sorry, I forget where) that dandyism and foppishness/effetism are opposites. This is of course because the Dandy, as presented by George Brummel et al. took to wearing plain clothes, emphasizing the subtleties of dress such as cut and fit, rather than brocaded silk coats and gold embroidery. The latter features are associated with foppishness which would therefore connotate excess in dress. Dandyism connotates simplicity.

But of course language evolves and the two words have become synonymous. Not yet homonymous, though.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cufflinks -- love them. Not loving cuff links means you don't like Frech cuff shirts. French cuff shirts are the most elegant form of shirt, IMHO. Naturally, one must be tasteful in link selection. E.g. I love my Tiffany 24k gold knots. Monograms -- Cheesy on the outside, utilitarian on the inside. Fitted shirts -- I hate wearing a shirt that isn't fitted properly. The shirts I order from Jantzen now are "form", but track pretty well to my classic New & Lingwoods in terms of fit. Horsebit loafers -- Classic. Love my Gucci horsebit driving shoes. Logoed polo shorts -- Don't like shorts as a general rule. Do you mean shirts? I'll wear a logoed Polo shirt. I actually like the non-logoed polos with the pocket that JCrew is selling these days. Collar bars -- Never worn one, never will. Hermes ties -- I pick the ties that appeal to me, whether they are Hermes, Zegna, Dormieul, etc.. A good looking, sharp dresser knows how to blend these elements without coming off as pretentious, effeminate, or effete. I know I'm pulling it off because of the daily complements I get from the women here at work.
biggrin.gif
Montecristo#4

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads