• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

difference between collars?

ethirtynine

Reaction score
what is the difference between spread collars and point collars and all the others? is there like a table someone can show me or something like that? what are the advantages and disadvantages between them? just want to expand my knowledge. thanks

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A spread or cut-away collar has a wide "throat" when fully buttoned up, which allows for the use of a thick, bulky knot like the Windsor.

A point has a narrower "throat", and is suited for smaller knots like the four-in-hand.

However, I prefer what is known as a "semi-spread", where the throat width is versatile enough to allow for knots of various sizes. The width falls somewhere in between a point and spread collar.

For reference, here's a spread collar:
863E.jpg

while here's a semi-spread collar:
ISCTPK_2.jpg

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
Tnanks for providing the image, Flame. I had originally thought the spread collar was the turn-down collar with rounded corners.

Now I can understand why Manton prefers a spread collar for his bow tie.

But I'm still wondering whether a stiff detachable Mandarin-type standup collar will look even more formal than a stiff detachable wing collar for the cutaway tailcoat of the Morning Dress.

If I read Manton correctly, the color of the shirt for Morning Dress should be very lightly coloured, not white. But shouldn't the collar itself be white?

Originally Posted by Flame
A spread or cut-away collar has a wide "throat" when fully buttoned up, which allows for the use of a thick, bulky knot like the Windsor.

...<snip>

For reference, here's a spread collar:
863E.jpg

...<snip>...

Millerp

Reaction score

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Lewis Black like rant) And then we have the Italian spread the english spread the Windsor spread the shark fin and I can't take it.
What's the difference between English Italian and just a spread?

Tampan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90
What's the difference between English Italian and just a spread?

(hmm... marmalade... tomato paste... and, mm, peanut butter)

Seems to be mostly just a matter of taste.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tampan
(hmm... marmalade... tomato paste... and, mm, peanut butter)

Seems to be mostly just a matter of taste.

Then, that would mean there is a difference but, what is it?

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the specifics of "English spread" and "Italian spread" tend to differ between manufacturers - rather than being actual categories, they're terms used when they want to suggest that the shirt is traditional/fashionable/exotic/has a feeling of heritage, etc.

That said, "English spread" suggests to me the smaller, more cut-away collar favored by, say, Prince Charles, while an Italian spread to me would be less cut-away, more a semi-spread, but larger overall, with longer collar points and a taller collar band.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Based on what I have seen over the years, the key difference is that the front edges of the points on an English spread collar are cut dead straight. Italian spread collars have some roll.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Based on what I have seen over the years, the key difference is that the front edges of the points on an English spread collar are cut dead straight. Italian spread collars have some roll.
I think I get it.

Now Ainsley vs. Semi spread vs. point?

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
Oops, my mistake again. Actually Manton mentioned he prefered a medium spread turn-down collar for his black tie DB dinner jacket.
bigstar[1].gif

Originally Posted by The Happy Stroller
Tnanks for providing the image, Flame. I had originally thought the spread collar was the turn-down collar with rounded corners.

Now I can understand why Manton prefers a spread collar for his bow tie.

But I'm still wondering whether a stiff detachable Mandarin-type standup collar will look even more formal than a stiff detachable wing collar for the cutaway tailcoat of the Morning Dress.

If I read Manton correctly, the color of the shirt for Morning Dress should be very lightly coloured, not white. But shouldn't the collar itself be white?

horton

Reaction score

I think it is a matter of taste, but one significant factor is your face. A wide face with a narrow collar will make the face look wider. A narrow face with a wide collar will make the face look narrower.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horton
I think it is a matter of taste, but one significant factor is your face. A wide face with a narrow collar will make the face look wider. A narrow face with a wide collar will make the face look narrower.
You're the first to agree!
Everyone says Narrow face wide collar and vis versa.
Collars are too confusing!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads