• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Difference between chelsea and jodhpur boots?

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know the standard definition we usually use around here is that Jodhpurs have straps and Chelseas have elastic, but elsewhere I see many side gore boots w/no strap described as "Jodhpurs", such as the RM Williams Turnout: http://www.australianboot.com/xcart/...cat=103&page=1 http://www.bobmicklers.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=B530Y41!RLC Also, the wikipedia entry for Jodhpur boots has a picture of elastic gore boots: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodhpur_boot So is there something that differentiates the jodhpur from the chelsea if both are elastic gore? Or is "Jodhpur" being used incorrectly in this case?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Historically complicated but in modern parlance they are employing a misnomer.

Jodhpurs are actually riding breeches that puff out around the thighs like parachute pants and narrow towards the knees down to the ankles like so:

QM_Mojave_Hem.jpg

The riding boots worn with these later became known as jodhpur boots or paddock boots. However, these boots were not necessarily short with straps and side buckles. In general, they were quite long to prevent the saddle from rubbing against the leg. These pants/boots date from the time of the Raj (1899) and were so named for the place of their use, the Indian province of Jodhpur.

This is where it gets confusing because shorter riding boots, such as the modern jodhpur and the elasticated chealsea boot, supposedly have their origins in the Victorian era which largely antedates the etymological origin of the word jodhpur. This leads me to believe that short boots with ankle straps were adopted for use in India AFTER their introduction in England, acquired their current name, then returned to England where it became widespread.

In any case, current parlance has it that elasticated ankle boots are Chelseas and those with ankle straps are Jodhpurs, so I see no reason for deviating from that naming scheme which can only cause unnecessary confusion even if, historically, there may be a reason for doing so.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some people call higher jodhpurs, "engineer boots". Ususally they are just higher. I think it is just streetwear lingo really. I work around many engineers, and I have never seen them wear anything of the sort,
wink.gif

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the Wikipedia page implies that chelseas are a subset of jodhpurs; whether that information is reliable I don't know...

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Some people call higher jodhpurs, "engineer boots". Ususally they are just higher. I think it is just streetwear lingo really. I work around many engineers, and I have never seen them wear anything of the sort,
wink.gif

Engineer boots were designed for railway engineers who had to stand on the hot floors of the engine cabs. They are heavy, thick-soled pull-on boots, typically with a buckled strap around the instep. They were commonly called motorcycle boots in the days of my youth and were extremely popular in those days. Many of the boys at my prep school wore them, although I was not among them.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Engineer boots were designed for railway engineers who had to stand on the hot floors of the engine cabs. They are heavy, thick-soled pull-on boots, typically with a buckled strap around the instep. They were commonly called motorcycle boots in the days of my youth and were extremely popular in those days. Many of the boys at my prep school wore them, although I was not among them.

I wore them and they were called "engineer boots" in the late 50s early 60s
in New York City and among those of us who attended college in the upstate
and New England snow belts.

le.gentleman

Reaction score
WE just published a piece about Jodhpur boots that meticulously describes the characteristics and variations of "Jodhpur" boot designs along with a number of pictures as well as some historical information. Click here to read and enjoy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads