• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Difference between blazer and sport coat

Allen

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2010
Messages
126
Reaction score
1
I know that there are already threads on this, but I want a simple no BS answer, nothing about history and stuff, just compare the two please.
What's the difference?
I mean, people say "sport coats are made from heavier fabrics" and "sport coats have sporty details" but I saw people talking about quite light sport coats without sporty details. Wouldn't that make them blazers?
 

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
26,688
Reaction score
12,997
Originally Posted by Allen
I know that there are already threads on this, but I want a simple no BS answer, nothing about history and stuff, just compare the two please.
What's the difference?
I mean, people say "sport coats are made from heavier fabrics" and "sport coats have sporty details" but I saw people talking about quite light sport coats without sporty details. Wouldn't that make them blazers?


Blazers have those gold or horn buttons and are usually navy. You should never wear blazers because they're ugly.
 

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
15,828
Reaction score
33
Do a search.
 

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2007
Messages
5,272
Reaction score
535
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Blazers have those gold or horn buttons and are usually navy. You should never wear blazers because they're ugly.

You're asking for trouble.
 

voxsartoria

Goon member
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
25,756
Reaction score
158
The ranks of Admiral, Commodore and Captain may wear blazers. Those above and below may not except when involuntarily on the plank, enroute to the deep.

Also, and I see this all the time here, questions about blazers are incomplete without asking for what plumage goes on the hat. Ostritch is the best.

- B
 

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2009
Messages
1,280
Reaction score
40
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Blazers have those gold or horn buttons and are usually navy. You should never wear blazers because they're ugly.

Witch! Witch! Stone him.
 

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2009
Messages
1,280
Reaction score
40
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The ranks of Admiral, Commodore and Captain may wear blazers. Those above and below may not except when involuntarily on the plank, enroute to the deep.

Also, and I see this all the time here, questions about blazers are incomplete without asking for what plumage goes on the hat. Ostritch is the best.

- B


How many horizontal gold stripes on the cuff?
 

voxsartoria

Goon member
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
25,756
Reaction score
158
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
How many horizontal gold stripes on the cuff?

Six, but it should be noted that when you hold your forearms up...oh, when holding a cocktail or engaging in some form of defensive feint in an Internet argument...the stripes appear vertical.


- B
 

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
2,651
Reaction score
488
Just think of blazers as a sub set of sports jackets or odd jackets. Sports jackets have a wider definition, blazers while by no means clearly defined, have a narrower set of characteristics.
 

dv_indian

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2009
Messages
285
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Allen
I know that there are already threads on this, but I want a simple no BS answer, nothing about history and stuff, just compare the two please.
What's the difference?
I mean, people say "sport coats are made from heavier fabrics" and "sport coats have sporty details" but I saw people talking about quite light sport coats without sporty details. Wouldn't that make them blazers?


Here's a simple layman's definition:

Blazer = plain, navy blue color jacket with silver or gold buttons.
Any other jacket that is not an orphaned suit jacket = sport coat.
 

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
2,651
Reaction score
488
Originally Posted by dv_indian
Here's a simple layman's definition:

Blazer = plain, navy blue color jacket with silver or gold buttons.
Any other jacket that is not an orphaned suit jacket = sport coat.


So my red and blue striped boating BLAZER with plastic buttons isn't really a blazer? You've done it now!
 

dv_indian

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2009
Messages
285
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
So my red and blue striped boating BLAZER with plastic buttons isn't really a blazer? You've done it now!

Well, it's a layman's definition covering blazers people wear on terra firma. It doesn't include blazers worn on boats, yachts and such
 

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
2,651
Reaction score
488
Originally Posted by dv_indian
Well, it's a layman's definition covering blazers people wear on terra firma. It doesn't include blazers worn on boats, yachts and such

TouchÃ
you got me there!
(Now remind me of the nautical origin of the blazer ...)
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

  • JW Anderson x Uniqlo

  • Nigo x Virgil Abloh

  • Converse x Midnight Studios

  • Rick Owens x Champion

  • Barbour x Engineered Garments

  • Adidas x Bed JW Ford

  • Jordan Brand x Dior

  • Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

  • Lego x Levi's


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
446,749
Messages
9,662,800
Members
201,909
Latest member
ezpewut
Top