• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diesel sizing?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried on some Diesel jackets over the weekend, and found that mediums tended to fit rather snugly. I'm way too thin for that to make any sense. Do you need to size up with Diesel like with G Star, or was it just two weird jackets?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Most of the time when you buy G-star or Diesel jackets, you need to size up. It also just depends on the individual garment you put on. I bought a tweed like G-star sportcoat in XL a couple years ago (I typically wear a 44R with the necessary body slimming tailoring). I went to Bloomie's last week and entertained the idea of a casual, kick back white G-star sportcoat/jacket and only fitted into an XXL. Similarly with Diesel, some of their XLs are too snug, and I know there's no way in hell I'm a typicall XXL. I don't know why that is considering these European designers know their market is Americans who tend to be either overweight (obviously not in your case) or workout. Not only does this make it difficult to order things on line, I can't resign myself to purchase something that says XXL.

Go figure.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had one Diesel sweater that was sized an XL and it fit me well - I am normally a small or medium in other brands.

I also have a Diesel winter coat that I needed to size down for.

Their clothing (Jeans/pants excluded) seems to run on the small side for sure.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that was the other thing. I tried on a G Star jacket in L, and it fit me like a snug small. I couldn't figure out what was going on. That I'd need something labeled XL just strikes me as incredibly bizarre.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Yeah, that was the other thing. I tried on a G Star jacket in L, and it fit me like a snug small. I couldn't figure out what was going on. That I'd need something labeled XL just strikes me as incredibly bizarre.

This is exactly why I wish that clothing was sized by the exact chest measurement - at least for higher-end brands.

To be able to buy dress shirts in 16.5-40-35, for example, would be a dream.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sizing up one size for a slimmish fit has been my experience with Diesel tops.

Reaction score
my diesel trucker sherpa is size L------i'm usually M

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I figured out why I'd've needed an XL in that shirt jacket. It wasn't a light shirt jacket. It was a bizarrely heavy shirt.

Why does this happen, anyway? Just annoying vanity sizing? Majority of market in demographics with different (smaller) sizes (eg Japan)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads