• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you marry into money?

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A colleague of my brother-in-law got engaged to this girl he met at dentistry school. She asked him to help her pick up her dad from the airport as he was coming to visit her. He drove to the airport and she then told him not to turn in at arrivals but go past the main terminal. He did and ended up being directed to a smaller field. He was confused until he saw the learjet. Her dad's personal plane. He was a billioinaire.

Cousin of a co-worker met an asian girl at college. Fell in love, got engaged, got married. Day of the wedding her father gave him a wedding gift. $500 million dollars. He now owns the Edmonton Oilers.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
Cousin of a co-worker met an asian girl at college. Fell in love, got engaged, got married. Day of the wedding her father gave him a wedding gift. $500 million dollars. He now owns the Edmonton Oilers.

So he turned that $500 million into $150 million?
laugh.gif

Cool story though.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
No, although she does make a substantial amount more than I do.

When did you get married?

mazel%20tov2.jpg

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
When did you get married?

mazel%20tov2.jpg

Your post made me realize that I did not read the thread title carefully...
ffffuuuu.gif

Not married yet; I would have made the obligatory threads in MC (Suit or Tux lol) and Social Life, F&D (wedding foods, locations, honeymoon, bachelor party lol) to let y'all know.

Actually, I probably won't make those threads when the times comes, maybe just some pictures of the wedding so everyone can pick my outfit apart.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
So he turned that $500 million into $150 million?
laugh.gif

Cool story though.

Well played.

However, to give the guy credit he didn't just sit on his ass. His family had owned two pharmacies in Edmonton and he turned that $500 million into Rexall Pharmacies and is now worth close to $3 billion.

jobro

Reaction score
I married into money.
swingers.jpg
But not because of it though - I ain't ever going to see it.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning

Where do you get this info? The owner of the Edmonton Oilers is Daryl Katz and his wife isnt Asian. Try again.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
no. i had opportunities to date a couple of girls with very wealthy parents (who by the way really love me and were always vying for me to marry their daughter (s) )
even promised to buy me and their daughter a huge house and an expensive car.
but i liked the girl i was dating at the time. a poor girl. but one who was so endearing to me. now my wife.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Where do you get this info? The owner of the Edmonton Oilers is Daryl Katz and his wife isnt Asian. Try again.

But he does own the company that owns Rexall Pharmacies.

Oh, and as to the OP: I wish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads