• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you luck or crap out with your first NYC apt?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm in the latter half. After only a month and a half in this dump, I need to move again. Good thing the Warranty of Habitability exists; too bad there is no way they are going to give me my deposit back (******* slumlords).

How was your first NYC apt experience?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once you live in NYC and attend a few house parties, coversations will inevitably drift into "where do live, how much do you pay, how long have you lived at such-n-such, and did you use a broker...". I've used brokers on all my places in Manhattan and Brooklyn though we managed pretty discount rates of approximately 0.5-0.8 months rent on average. Finding a good place takes luck and/or a lot of looking. Be prepared to look at places until 8-9 at night on the weekdays or early on Sat mornings. The best places are only seen by one or two people before a lease is signed.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We lucked out on our first place. Buddy and I were moving to NYC at the same time - spent a few days going through many Village Voice ads which were all dumps. Then a local friend introduced us to his broker who specialized in Park Slope and she took us to a place that was exactly what we were looking at exactly the rent we were looking topay. Going through the ads is a ginormous waste of time IMO.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking in the right neighborhood is key as well. And by right neighborhood, I mean where everyone else isn't looking.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UES is illegal sublet city.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lucked out somewhat on my first place. New bldg in Prospect Heights, somewhat desperate to fill rooms. Cheap parking + awesome view

2nd place was the same complex but old bldg, bigger bedroom

3rd place was an old brownstone in Crown Heights... sucked but was cheap

4th place is place in UES w/my girl. Only downsides are price & pests

Best strategy is to pick a good time to look and to really do research on neighborhoods + transit etc. Not a bad idea to work w/brokers too, it's worth it

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I lucked out. My first place was a rent stabilized apartment on 75th and Columbus.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lucked out with an affordable (relatively, at least) two bedroom on the UWS some years ago. Used a no fee broker.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are we considering lucking out

I'm in a 700 sq ft corner 1BR walkup in the UES for 1950/mo, I think it was no fee. I think that was a decent deal

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I wouldn't say I lucked out but I got what I paid for.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I wouldn't say I lucked out but I got what I paid for.

When did you move here ?

redzapper

Reaction score
Lucked out.

Bought a 1BR loft on Hudson St when I first moved to Manhattan and sold it for 3 times the price years later.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
When did you move here ?

I have moved here three times. 1st two times into rentals in Manhattan. 3rd time straight to the burbs.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I have moved here three times. 1st two times in to rentals in Manhattan. 3rd time straight to the burbs.

I meant when did you first move to NYC? (you grew up in California, right?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads