• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DId you have suits as a child?

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black suits look terrible any time, any place. With wear they look even worse. The proper color for dinner suits is midnight blue. You can wear a charcoal suit to a funeral.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems regrettable to me that what started out as a fresh and interesting topic has been threadjacked into one (i.e., black suits) that has been done to death in this forum. Didn't we have one that went on interminably awhile back?

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We sure did JL

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

To use a bit of relevant jargon, the extended pre-contemplative phase actually worked to strengthen my willpower when I did finally take action.

Is that a reference to the Transtheoretical model of behavioral change there HF? I salute you sir!

To get this back on track ... I had a sky blue short set for my aunty's wedding when I was a toddler in the mid sixties. Then a tan short set (very scratchy) for Sunday School as a little lad.

Me and my brothers had broad check sports jackets and coordinating flared trousers and ties bought for us to attend my grandparents' golden wedding party in the mid seventies. As the youngest I inherited the ensembles from my two older brothers when they outgrew theirs. Yuk! I wore one of these to my confirmation at age 12 and have rarely been in church since.

There were a few years when I had nothing beyond my school uniform (navy blazer, black or grey strides, white, blue or grey shirt, black shoes) which coincided with the rebellious punk phase, then I discovered the sixties mod look and bought a grey suit, then a medium blue suit, with my milk round money. I got another medium blue suit MTM for my 18th birthday and have owned suits ever since. Even when in college or at a job which did not require formal business wear, I've always had several suits on hand for clubs, weddings etc.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a navy jacket and shorts as a tot, then a navy suit, followed by grey pants and a navy jacket and then around 4th grade all proper young men in my town attended Mrs. Covingtons Dancing School where we were required to wear navy suits and white gloves. The girls wore party dresses and white gloves. We all participated in that social circle until 8th grade. After that formal social events were black tie except for the coming out parties that were white tie.

For any event when you wore a suit, you wore shined black oxfords. For casual you wore beat up brown loafers and NEVER did they cross over.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Μεγάλη λόγια της σοφίας από τον Σωκράτη, ένα από την τριανδρία SF.

Great words of wisdom from Socrates, one of the SF triumvirate.

Do we have a Yiddish font? After all, the aphorism
"Dress British and think Yiddish" is one of the founding principles
of the Good Life.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do we have a Yiddish font? After all, the aphorism
"Dress British and think Yiddish" is one of the founding principles
of the Good Life.

Google translate. :D
קלייד בריטיש און טראַכטן ייִדיש

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads