1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

DId you have suits as a child?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gladhands, Apr 12, 2013.

1. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

got a new (or new for me) suit every Easter. I liked the ones the had one suit jacket, reversible vest, one pair of pants that matched one side of the vest and another pair that matched the other side of the vest.

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Chaire, Sokrates! I realize that English is not your native tongue. If I weren't so lazy, I'd try to download a Greek font and give discussing this in your native Attic a shot. Perhaps, as others have remarked, we could try giving the topic of the black suit a good Socratics elenchos.

3. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Μεγάλη λόγια της σοφίας από τον Σωκράτη, ένα από την τριανδρία SF.

Great words of wisdom from Socrates, one of the SF triumvirate.

4. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

It will look as good as yours, which isn't saying much.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  5. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I think you are making a caricature of and misrepresenting parts of the argument against black suits. Black IS a formal color. I don't see people debating that. In fact, that is why some believe it should be reserved for formal attire. The people opposed to black suits are also not in the minority here and its rather disingenuous to suggest this; in fact, a substantial majority is opposed to black suits and has been since at least 2006 when I joined, a majority slightly eroded by the departure of some old timers and influx of new people.

I am sure that only a very small minority of people in society have any real substantive knowledge of menswear. People come to forums like this because they want to learn more about clothing than the average member of society.

6. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Black suits look terrible any time, any place. With wear they look even worse. The proper color for dinner suits is midnight blue. You can wear a charcoal suit to a funeral.

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

It seems regrettable to me that what started out as a fresh and interesting topic has been threadjacked into one (i.e., black suits) that has been done to death in this forum. Didn't we have one that went on interminably awhile back?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
    2 people like this.
  8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

We sure did JL

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  9. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Is that a reference to the Transtheoretical model of behavioral change there HF? I salute you sir!

To get this back on track ... I had a sky blue short set for my aunty's wedding when I was a toddler in the mid sixties. Then a tan short set (very scratchy) for Sunday School as a little lad.

Me and my brothers had broad check sports jackets and coordinating flared trousers and ties bought for us to attend my grandparents' golden wedding party in the mid seventies. As the youngest I inherited the ensembles from my two older brothers when they outgrew theirs. Yuk! I wore one of these to my confirmation at age 12 and have rarely been in church since.

There were a few years when I had nothing beyond my school uniform (navy blazer, black or grey strides, white, blue or grey shirt, black shoes) which coincided with the rebellious punk phase, then I discovered the sixties mod look and bought a grey suit, then a medium blue suit, with my milk round money. I got another medium blue suit MTM for my 18th birthday and have owned suits ever since. Even when in college or at a job which did not require formal business wear, I've always had several suits on hand for clubs, weddings etc.

1 person likes this.
  10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I had a navy jacket and shorts as a tot, then a navy suit, followed by grey pants and a navy jacket and then around 4th grade all proper young men in my town attended Mrs. Covingtons Dancing School where we were required to wear navy suits and white gloves. The girls wore party dresses and white gloves. We all participated in that social circle until 8th grade. After that formal social events were black tie except for the coming out parties that were white tie.

For any event when you wore a suit, you wore shined black oxfords. For casual you wore beat up brown loafers and NEVER did they cross over.

11. comrade

comrade Senior member

Do we have a Yiddish font? After all, the aphorism
    "Dress British and think Yiddish" is one of the founding principles
    of the Good Life.

12. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Google translate. :D
    קלייד בריטיש און טראַכטן ייִדיש

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013