• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you dress like an adult today?

emiratiAL

Reaction score
It is a bold move especially with such a low gorge. I think if you wanted to go full 1970s East German resistance philosopher, creased slacks in a gently faded colour - perhaps somewhere between grey, beige and your jumper - would take you there. The jeans are a bit too modern!

Jens Reich in 1990

That was a proper laugh out loud. It's a mood board I want to see more of for sure.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
E6910E61-9A35-432A-8715-5CE158D48640.jpeg

Samuelsohn Sport Jacket
Hiltl Trouser
Drinkwater's X Individualized Shirt
Albizzati Tie
Seaward & Stearn Pocket Square
W.Kleinberg Belt
Paraboot Shoes
Omega Seamaster

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Colors in the range from green through orange. (Brown is a darkening of unsaturated yellow or orange.) Unfortunately, the mask, which was the only clean one I had left, upset the scheme.

View attachment 1484286

Computer processing makes the coat appear to be of a sleek finish, but it is actually flannel with a muted but quite easily visible check.

View attachment 1484287

Yes, yes, I need to do something about those spots on the right shoe.

View attachment 1484288

I love the orange accents in this one. A most pleasing combination of textures and colors.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
View attachment 1485242
Samuelsohn Sport Jacket
Hiltl Trouser
Drinkwater's X Individualized Shirt
Albizzati Tie
Seaward & Stearn Pocket Square
W.Kleinberg Belt
Paraboot Shoes
Omega Seamaster

Thank you for joining us! I love this combination of textures. That jacket is superb!

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Ha! I own only two pairs of black shoes, counting a pair of tuxedo shoes, and I rarely wear either pair. (Ooh, there's a phrase ill-suited to being read aloud.)

In the case of this particular outfit, though, because of the black trousers, black shoes are clearly the best choice. I see that you have chosen to use the tie as a locus of intense color to make up for the lack of chroma in the rest of the outfit. Well, each has his own taste, I suppose.

[Edited: I just read in your post in the other thread that the trousers are in fact navy, not black. Not sure what to think now.]

It used to be much more common to see black shoes in the UK, including for casual occasions. They're very practical - unlike anything lighter, scuffs and marks don't really show and can just be "painted over". I do remember some American flavoured photos of penny loafers with white socks. Going back further in time think of all the cavalry units from the Hussars to the Cossacks with their black boots, whose greasing (with tar) inspired Chanel to create Cuir de Russie. There is something to be said for shoes that do not scream for attention.

I agree that black shoes connote more subtlety and formality than other colors. I just wanted to avoid the faux pas of wearing tan or walnut shoes with everything, as seems to have been the trend for the last decade.

I think that, since I'm moving towards more earth tones these days, some Alden tassels or pennies in snuff suede will be in order, someday. Those seem like the ideal shoe for autumn outfits.

The wardrobe shopping list grows ever longer.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Brooks Brothers, mostly.

Did I dress thoughtfully? Did I dress with a sense of occasion? This was my attempt.

After yesterday's experiment with high contrast, I went for something softer to temper the three patterns. While this jacket is one of my autumn favorites, I realize now that I could use a jacket in a lighter shade of brown, or green.

20201027_110811.jpg 20201027_113808.jpg 20201027_110838.jpg 20201027_110730.jpg

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that, since I'm moving towards more earth tones these days, some Alden tassels or pennies in snuff suede will be in order, someday. Those seem like the ideal shoe for autumn outfits.

The wardrobe shopping list grows ever longer.

After a certain amount of hesitation I finally broke down and bought a pair of polo (or snuff?) tassel suede loafers from C&J. I’ve found them to be very versatile and wear them in all but the coldest of weather.

I would encourage you to put them on that list of yours. Or, go ahead and take the plunge.

Miles R.

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Brooks Brothers, mostly.

Did I dress thoughtfully? Did I dress with a sense of occasion? This was my attempt.

After yesterday's experiment with high contrast, I went for something softer to temper the three patterns. While this jacket is one of my autumn favorites, I realize now that I could use a jacket in a lighter shade of brown, or green.

View attachment 1485351 View attachment 1485352 View attachment 1485353 View attachment 1485354
Winning necktie. Where is the hat from? Looks like a Hufvud.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Winning necktie. Where is the hat from? Looks like a Hufvud.

Many thanks! It's Goorin Brothers. I recall having a spirited debate with a friend (back in the Before Times, when we could do things like go to restaurants) about whether to call it a derby or a bowler. I suspect some SF pedants have had one of their "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" debates about it, somewhere in the depths of the archives.

jiredell

Reaction score
Without the aid of my little photo-taking helper (my daughter). So the photos are what they are. It’s rainy here today in Atlanta.
B2C7B21B-385F-47E1-A406-021439F85AF6.jpeg

CE06B6AF-5321-478E-9F49-BA1685EF78A1.jpeg

A05366A2-5D39-43E8-8C64-70D11511C925.jpeg

F2809C35-7E63-4E0E-AAA0-518100F0D856.jpeg

Miles R.

Reaction score
Many thanks! It's Goorin Brothers. I recall having a spirited debate with a friend (back in the Before Times, when we could do things like go to restaurants) about whether to call it a derby or a bowler. I suspect some SF pedants have had one of their "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" debates about it, somewhere in the depths of the archives.
Funny, because my comment went through the following drafting process: "hat"; "derby"; "bowler"; "hat."

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Pumpkin & moss.

This is one of my last bright orange ties of the season. From here on out, we move down the scale to yellow, gold, rust, and brown. My fall ties are my favorites.

Yes, it's kitschy to color-code things according to season and weather, but I like to embrace what little of an autumn I get in my climate. That, and ties are easy to acquire these days on eBay, since a lot of folks seem to be emptying their closets of neckwear. Harvest season for the thrifters.

20201028_111450.jpg 20201028_115524.jpg 20201028_115654.jpg

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Stormfront Cazual. (The Z is for Zeta.)

Thursday is my last in-person teaching day of the week, so I like to take the opportunity to showcase looks that are somewhat less formal in register. Hence the emphasis here on cotton, linen, and knits. I could have gone with loafers instead of laceups, but there's a storm moving through, so I thought laceups would be a more practical choice for the rain.

My wardrobe's development has been rather "top heavy" over the years: in my efforts to save up for more expensive, interview-worthy items, my collection of casual pieces has always remained small.

20201029_111553.jpg 20201029_111716.jpg 20201029_111747.jpg 20201029_111819.jpg

Miles R.

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Stormfront Cazual. (The Z is for Zeta.)

Thursday is my last in-person teaching day of the week, so I like to take the opportunity to showcase looks that are somewhat less formal in register. Hence the emphasis here on cotton, linen, and knits. I could have gone with loafers instead of laceups, but there's a storm moving through, so I thought laceups would be a more practical choice for the rain.

My wardrobe's development has been rather "top heavy" over the years: in my efforts to save up for more expensive, interview-worthy items, my collection of casual pieces has always remained small.

View attachment 1486792 View attachment 1486793 View attachment 1486794 View attachment 1486795

Such a tie clip may be described as "spectacular." (Ha, and again, ha.) The coat and shoes seem to belong to a higher register of formality than the rest of the outfit. But you have explained why that is.

My own difficulty with casual wear is that I have not found a source of inspiration comparable to the "What are you wearing today?" thread in this forum. I know that there is a thread of the same title in the "Streetwear and Denim" forum, but the items on display in it---hoodies, blue jeans, and the like---are not at all the sort of thing that I am looking for. What I have in mind is dress that is classically stylish but that doesn't require a necktie to complete it. If anyone can suggest where to look, please post links.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads