• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you dress like an adult today?

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's outfit: Find the corduroy.

Did I dress thoughtfully? Did I dress with a sense of occasion? This was my attempt.

Something more casual and monochromatic today. In response to feedback on the WAYWRN thread, I've been thinking a great deal more about whether my trousers or chinos go well with my jackets. I've also been thinking about my boundaries, and my own relationship to criticism. I tend to take remarks to heart.

At any rate, here's today's.

View attachment 1481798 View attachment 1481799 View attachment 1481800 View attachment 1481801

I think more contrast between jacket and trouser is needed here. Cotton rarely looks great in navy and navy chinos always have a sad, dull, washed-out appearance that just fills me with existential dread.

Miles R.

Reaction score
I think more contrast between jacket and trouser is needed here. Cotton rarely looks great in navy and navy chinos always have a sad, dull, washed-out appearance that just fills me with existential dread.
That sounds exaggerated on first reading, but I have some navy chinos that I bought about two years ago and I think I have only worn them twice. You may have explained why that is.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
It is important to understand internet troll psychology. What they seek is engagement, specifically evidence of an emotional reaction. They do not really have principles or beliefs. There are some interviews of trolls explaining how they will take both sides of a heated issue and set out baits to start fights.

You can go as far back as the Soviet Active Measures - according to Oleg Kalugin (a KGB general who defected post-breakup due to not aligning with Putin), the USSR had 400 typists producing hate letters full time towards and against racists during the MLK era.

In your case, the attack was twofold: high school style "neeerds" and the homophobia; your reaction implies the second worked (as I'd expect: most adults of married age tend to no longer register high school insults, but homophobia is considerably harder to "toughen up" against). Doing it as tags avoids people taking your side as most people don't read the tags, whilst leaving a nice bait for you to notice since you'll presumably get an email alert or would just be more aware of your thread since you created it.

Once you understand the motivations and dynamics, you respond accordingly by ignoring and not leaving any evidence (and reporting silently to the moderation team if it has shown willingness to police these things). The most successful forums have evolved defences along those lines. For example Hacker News (probably the most popular tech forum) has a sophisticated shadow banning and hell banning system that pretends to the user that they are a regular user whilst automatically hiding, downvoting or otherwise avoiding their posts from being shown to the real users; or in the case of hell banning, slowing navigation to a crawl to make it so unpleasant to use the site as to encourage the troll to seek friendlier targets. And of course SF has the ignore function and the CE section, although as a forum it is remarkably tolerant of a lot of speech that would not pass muster in most of the web.

Thank you. Moving forward, I shall take your advice.

A large chunk of the Creepy Sartorial Images thread is basically just people making transphobic comments.

I suspect I know who posted that tag on here, and it's someone who spends his entire day, every day, posting transphobic comments on CE. That's basically all he does here for hours on end.

I wouldn't say this characterizes the rest of the forum. But I'm surprised you've never seen such comments on here.

And thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Yes, a cutesy tie bar. Sometimes I wear things just because my students like them.

Did I dress thoughtfully? Did I dress with a sense of occasion? This was my attempt.

I bought this tie years ago as an intended interview tie. Academic job interviews in the humanities tend to be more permissive of creative expression, so I thought the royal blue and bronze made a nice little Ravenclaw allusion. Over the years, I began building combinations in brown and blue thanks to this pleasing contrast.

20201022_145103.jpg 20201022_145027.jpg 20201022_144855.jpg

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good thread, I like the idea @LiteraryBotany.

This is the outfit I'll be wearing a lot this fall- blazer with jeans and turtleneck. My friend who is a beginner in photography offered me a free session and gave me freehand, so the idea my here for me was to create a sort of vintage 70s look and vibe. The look is one of all-time menswear my faves. These are some of the shots cropped by me that show clothes better than the others, but they were not made with that purpose in mind. Still I thought about sharing that as 1st fit just to start somewhere, so here it goes.

The fit on the jacket is not perfect, the jacket even for casual fits is I think slightly too short and the middle/top button in the jacket is slightly pulling the fabric(result of a flaw in sewing or perhaps more likely my slightly too big belly).

Probably more things could have been done better here, so feel free to point them out.

vin3.jpg
DSC_9100.jpg DSC_9519.jpg vin1.jpg

DSC_9456.jpg

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice job with the turtleneck. It’s one of my favorite combos.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good thread, I like the idea @LiteraryBotany.

This is the outfit I'll be wearing a lot this fall- blazer with jeans and turtleneck. My friend who is a beginner in photography offered me a free session and gave me freehand, so the idea my here for me was to create a sort of vintage 70s look and vibe. The look is one of all-time menswear my faves. These are some of the shots cropped by me that show clothes better than the others, but they were not made with that purpose in mind. Still I thought about sharing that as 1st fit just to start somewhere, so here it goes.

The fit on the jacket is not perfect, the jacket even for casual fits is I think slightly too short and the middle/top button in the jacket is slightly pulling the fabric(result of a flaw in sewing or perhaps more likely my slightly too big belly).

Probably more things could have been done better here, so feel free to point them out.

View attachment 1482429
View attachment 1482436 View attachment 1482438 View attachment 1482437

View attachment 1482454
It is a bold move especially with such a low gorge. I think if you wanted to go full 1970s East German resistance philosopher, creased slacks in a gently faded colour - perhaps somewhere between grey, beige and your jumper - would take you there. The jeans are a bit too modern!

1603410910018.png
Jens Reich in 1990

Last edited:

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@wojt That's a great jacket. I can't even make fun of your man bun, since you've pulled off the whole look so well and the moody photography just looks great. I do reserve the right to make fun of your man bun in the future though.

Miles R.

Reaction score
Light-brown coat and purple pocket square again. The shirt, believe it or not, is yellow, though it looks white.

2020.10.24 (1).jpg

I seem to be suffering from pocket-square obtrusion. Never noticed it until I saw the photograph.

2020.10.24 (3).jpg

Miles R.

Reaction score
Colors in the range from green through orange. (Brown is a darkening of unsaturated yellow or orange.) Unfortunately, the mask, which was the only clean one I had left, upset the scheme.

2020.10.25 (1).jpg

Computer processing makes the coat appear to be of a sleek finish, but it is actually flannel with a muted but quite easily visible check.

2020.10.25 (6).jpg

Yes, yes, I need to do something about those spots on the right shoe.

2020.10.25 (3).jpg

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Contrasts. Contrary to appearances, the trousers are navy, not black.

Although half of my shoe wardrobe is black shoes, I find that I simply don't wear them as often as burgundy, brown, and tan shoes. I suppose this owes to my preponderance of earth tones, which don't harmonize as well with black shoes.

The traditional rules dictate that I "must" wear black shoes since I'm within city limits. But I think many such rules languish in the dustbin of history. And, honestly, it's not a rule I miss.

20201026_113248.jpg 20201026_113847.jpg 20201026_113802.jpg 20201026_113720.jpg

Miles R.

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Contrasts. Contrary to appearances, the trousers are navy, not black.

Although half of my shoe wardrobe is black shoes, I find that I simply don't wear them as often as burgundy, brown, and tan shoes. I suppose this owes to my preponderance of earth tones, which don't harmonize as well with black shoes.

The traditional rules dictate that I "must" wear black shoes since I'm within city limits. But I think many such rules languish in the dustbin of history. And, honestly, it's not a rule I miss.

View attachment 1485086 View attachment 1485087 View attachment 1485088 View attachment 1485089
Ha! I own only two pairs of black shoes, counting a pair of tuxedo shoes, and I rarely wear either pair. (Ooh, there's a phrase ill-suited to being read aloud.)

In the case of this particular outfit, though, because of the black trousers, black shoes are clearly the best choice. I see that you have chosen to use the tie as a locus of intense color to make up for the lack of chroma in the rest of the outfit. Well, each has his own taste, I suppose.

[Edited: I just read in your post in the other thread that the trousers are in fact navy, not black. Not sure what to think now.]

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@jiredell
Hey J - ^ Thats an example of what Foo used to call ‘Square fail’ - your pocket square draws the eye because it sticks out like a sore thumb and it’s colours bear no relation to anything else in your outfit ... at least according to my iPhone screen!

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It used to be much more common to see black shoes in the UK, including for casual occasions. They're very practical - unlike anything lighter, scuffs and marks don't really show and can just be "painted over". I do remember some American flavoured photos of penny loafers with white socks. Going back further in time think of all the cavalry units from the Hussars to the Cossacks with their black boots, whose greasing (with tar) inspired Chanel to create Cuir de Russie. There is something to be said for shoes that do not scream for attention.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads