• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you dress like an adult today?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's outfit: Autumn Uniform.

Did I dress thoughtfully? Did I dress with a sense of occasion? This was my attempt.

As I often do, I took secondary colors from the tie and brought them out into the accessories: beige, olive, and blue.

The "autumn uniform" here refers to navy DB blazer plus everything in my wardrobe.

View attachment 1480461 View attachment 1480462 View attachment 1480463 View attachment 1480464
Very (chronologically) forward choice of material for today's class, given your usual preferences...

Nice tie. These trousers in a full cut scream for a proper crease, front and back! Some suggest leaving the things under your mattress overnight, others lock the crease in place with a bit of glue, there's even a dedicated thread; here I am sure a simple press will be enough.

1603164513746.png

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been dressing for work but
My schedule makes it difficult to get anyone else to get a pic for me, hence the rather not-so-helpful bathroom image. View attachment 1471195
Great Beard ! ...and jacket. I wish I had the nerve e to let mine grow to a
Civil War reenactor length. As it is, my adult daughter, who is tres chic, says
I look like the Unabomber.

Miles R.

Reaction score
Quite a few colors here---blue, purple, green, and brown. I don't see any clashing, yet I don't think the outfit holds together as well as it might have done with some small change. What do you think? With the pocket square I had the idea of picking up the purple in the tie and in the shirt (the latter has a check pattern, though it's hard to see in these photos), but the purple stripes in the tie are so dark that they could just as well be brown and the purple (lilac) stripes in the shirt are so faint that they scarcely register. Perhaps I should have chosen a pocket square in green, emphasizing that color rather than trying to balance the purple against it.

2020.10.20 (1).JPG

2020.10.20 (2).JPG

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Very (chronologically) forward choice of material for today's class, given your usual preferences...

Nice tie. These trousers in a full cut scream for a proper crease, front and back! Some suggest leaving the things under your mattress overnight, others lock the crease in place with a bit of glue, there's even a dedicated thread; here I am sure a simple press will be enough.

View attachment 1480572

Many thanks! I steam my trousers, but the thread that you've linked suggests some use of starch, as well. I'll give that a try.

As for the choice of material: my Monday-Wednesday class is gaming and sci-fi in the 20th-century students, whereas my Tuesday-Thursday class is utopias and the Enlightenment back in the 17th. Let's do the time warp again. Let's do the time warp again.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Quite a few colors here---blue, purple, green, and brown. I don't see any clashing, yet I don't think the outfit holds together as well as it might have done with some small change. What do you think? With the pocket square I had the idea of picking up the purple in the tie and in the shirt (the latter has a check pattern, though it's hard to see in these photos), but the purple stripes in the tie are so dark that they could just as well be brown and the purple (lilac) stripes in the shirt are so faint that they scarcely register. Perhaps I should have chosen a pocket square in green, emphasizing that color rather than trying to balance the purple against it.

View attachment 1481027

View attachment 1481028

The colors go together beautifully. I like to think about how the outfit looks from a distance: the blue, purple, and green go together, and the olive and brown add warm contrasts. Most handsome!

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Belatedly, yesterday's outfit: Linen and flannel.

Did I dress thoughtfully? Did I dress with a sense of occasion? This was my attempt.

This tie ties a large knot, despite my attempts to get it down to proportion with the collar. I'm reluctant to give it the boxy treatment of the four-in-hand, so I went with the single windsor, and set it against a backdrop of neutrals and solids.

Another note on the state of this thread: some "charming" SF denizens left some tags about pretentiousness, neckbeards, and one in particular labeled "sodomote stylefarmer." My husband and I got a chuckle out of that last one. More folks ought to try sodomy.

(That's "sodomy" as in homosexual intercourse, not the bestiality stuff.)

Said tags have been removed. The casual homophobia of SF has yet to wear off, I see. Anyway:

20201020_111144.jpg 20201020_111322.jpg 20201020_111736.jpg 20201020_111051.jpg

Miles R.

Reaction score
Another note on the state of this thread: some "charming" SF denizens left some tags about pretentiousness, neckbeards, and one in particular labeled "sodomote stylefarmer."
Sorry to hear that. Sounds as though you had a visit from the Marquess of Queensberry.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Find the corduroy.

Something more casual and monochromatic today. In response to feedback on the WAYWRN thread, I've been thinking a great deal more about whether my trousers or chinos go well with my jackets. I've also been thinking about my boundaries, and my own relationship to criticism. I tend to take remarks to heart.

At any rate, here's today's.

20201021_120128.jpg 20201021_120319.jpg 20201021_120250.jpg 20201021_120035.jpg

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Sounds as though you had a visit from the Marquess of Queensberry.

Honestly, one of the reasons I was reluctant to post anywhere on SF for a number of months was out of concern for homophobia. Turns out when you gather a bunch of dudebros on the Internet in one place, the jockeying and preening quickly devolves into "locker room talk," which is that euphemism for things that cisgender heterosexual guys are allowed to say without consequences. Must be nice, being able to say things without consequences.

Let's just say that I have a lot of folks set to "ignore." Some of y'all need some lessons in how to be humans.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, one of the reasons I was reluctant to post anywhere on SF for a number of months was out of concern for homophobia. Turns out when you gather a bunch of dudebros on the Internet in one place, the jockeying and preening quickly devolves into "locker room talk," which is that euphemism for things that cisgender heterosexual guys are allowed to say without consequences. Must be nice, being able to say things without consequences.

Let's just say that I have a lot of folks set to "ignore." Some of y'all need some lessons in how to be humans.

you know something, up to now I’ve kept my mouth shut and followed this thread. With the exception of a small blurb I’ve not said much.

But your comments are snobbish and downright hostile. I’ve never heard anyone allude to anyone’s sexual orientation. There is another SF member who is openly gay and posts pics of himself. He’s been received as anyone here is; as someone Who appreciates men’s clothing and style.

To suggest that the commentary devolves into locker room talk is rubbish and I challenge you to point out where this is evident, or forms some pattern other than inside you pea brain.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another note on the state of this thread: some "charming" SF denizens left some tags about pretentiousness, neckbeards, and one in particular labeled "sodomote stylefarmer." My husband and I got a chuckle out of that last one. More folks ought to try sodomy.

Said tags have been removed. The casual homophobia of SF has yet to wear off, I see. Anyway:
It is important to understand internet troll psychology. What they seek is engagement, specifically evidence of an emotional reaction. They do not really have principles or beliefs. There are some interviews of trolls explaining how they will take both sides of a heated issue and set out baits to start fights.

You can go as far back as the Soviet Active Measures - according to Oleg Kalugin (a KGB general who defected post-breakup due to not aligning with Putin), the USSR had 400 typists producing hate letters full time towards and against racists during the MLK era.

In your case, the attack was twofold: high school style "neeerds" and the homophobia; your reaction implies the second worked (as I'd expect: most adults of married age tend to no longer register high school insults, but homophobia is considerably harder to "toughen up" against). Doing it as tags avoids people taking your side as most people don't read the tags, whilst leaving a nice bait for you to notice since you'll presumably get an email alert or would just be more aware of your thread since you created it.

Once you understand the motivations and dynamics, you respond accordingly by ignoring and not leaving any evidence (and reporting silently to the moderation team if it has shown willingness to police these things). The most successful forums have evolved defences along those lines. For example Hacker News (probably the most popular tech forum) has a sophisticated shadow banning and hell banning system that pretends to the user that they are a regular user whilst automatically hiding, downvoting or otherwise avoiding their posts from being shown to the real users; or in the case of hell banning, slowing navigation to a crawl to make it so unpleasant to use the site as to encourage the troll to seek friendlier targets. And of course SF has the ignore function and the CE section, although as a forum it is remarkably tolerant of a lot of speech that would not pass muster in most of the web.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you know something, up to now I’ve kept my mouth shut and followed this thread. With the exception of a small blurb I’ve not said much.

But your comments are snobbish and downright hostile. I’ve never heard anyone allude to anyone’s sexual orientation. There is another SF member who is openly gay and posts pics of himself. He’s been received as anyone here is; as someone Who appreciates men’s clothing and style.

To suggest that the commentary devolves into locker room talk is rubbish and I challenge you to point out where this is evident, or forms some pattern other than inside you pea brain.

A large chunk of the Creepy Sartorial Images thread is basically just people making transphobic comments.

I suspect I know who posted that tag on here, and it's someone who spends his entire day, every day, posting transphobic comments on CE. That's basically all he does here for hours on end.

I wouldn't say this characterizes the rest of the forum. But I'm surprised you've never seen such comments on here.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do the mods even do anything besides get rid of dick pill and ketoshit spam?

I only recently learned that SF is full of lots of mini communities that are in silos, but it makes sense.

I found an old thread about furniture that's recently active, and it's full of the same weird 2010 era SF trolling.
A large chunk of the Creepy Sartorial Images thread is basically just people making transphobic comments.

I suspect I know who posted that tag on here, and it's someone who spends his entire day, every day, posting transphobic comments on CE. That's basically all he does here for hours on end.

I wouldn't say this characterizes the rest of the forum. But I'm surprised you've never seen such comments on here.
I didn't until last week either when I was creeping on Foo's profile and found him in some threads. Heard lots about him and was surprised to find out he's still active.

jiredell

Reaction score
Belatedly, yesterday's outfit: Linen and flannel.

This tie ties a large knot, despite my attempts to get it down to proportion with the collar. I'm reluctant to give it the boxy treatment of the four-in-hand, so I went with the single windsor, and set it against a backdrop of neutrals and solids.

View attachment 1481336 View attachment 1481337 View attachment 1481338 View attachment 1481339
It may just be the shine job on these shoes, or the fact that I’m so used to you wearing loafers, but these are the most handsome shoes of yours IMO.

jiredell

Reaction score
Today’s outfit. Not entirely sure what’s up with the crease on my left side, other than that I had been at work all day before this pick and that is my “coffee” hand. The other wrinkles are, I would think, of the standard “I-wore-this-suit-for-work“ type.
DD5AE9F5-3D6F-4D02-9912-3CF7FFD380B2.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads