• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you dress like an adult today?

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Hi all!

New to SF and this is my first post. Today I wore a long-sleeve polo shirt, grey trousers, and black loafers. I wanted to be comfortable but not too casual while WFH.

I feel that the shirt is a bit too slim, and the trousers are hemmed too short. Would appreciate some other opinions on this. Thanks!

IG: @theamericantraditional

View attachment 1468746

Welcome! I love these trousers and loafers especially. Thank you for joining us.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Textures that count as patterns.

Did I dress thoughtfully yesterday? Did I dress with a sense of occasion? This was my attempt.

This thrift-store tweed jacket is one of my favorite pieces, though today the weather was quite too warm for it. I'm usually a bit shy pairing this piece with a patterned shirt, unless I have a solid v-neck sweater to break up the herringbone from the shirt. So I suppose I did an unusual thing today.

Yes, the tie bar is an owl. No, I don't care whether that's hokey. There were Harry Potter references in today's class, after all.

20201005_164507.jpg 20201005_164540.jpg 20201005_164428.jpg 20201005_164331.jpg

Miles R.

Reaction score
I love this last summer combination. I always have a difficult time with pink shirts, yet you pull it off wonderfully.
Thank you. Sorry I did not notice this post earlier. I like that shirt too. It seems to be woven of a combination of white and berry-colored threads, so that the pink shade that emerges is a bit dull, which makes it more manageable than rosier shades.

The wide, large-pattern paisley tie in your next series of photos is very bold, but you manage to subdue it with the navy blazer. ?

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Thank you. Sorry I did not notice this post earlier. I like that shirt too. It seems to be woven of a combination of white and berry-colored threads, so that the pink shade that emerges is a bit dull, which makes it more manageable than rosier shades.

The wide, large-pattern paisley tie in your next series of photos is very bold, but you manage to subdue it with the navy blazer. ?

Many thanks! Many of my ties are in bold colors or patterns, hence my reliance on neutrals and solids to frame them.

Belatedly, yesterday's outfit: The (pumpkin) spice must flow.

Did I dress thoughtfully? Did I dress with a sense of occasion? This was my attempt.

Honestly, I don't have too many intricacies to report with this composition. It's fairly standard Ivy, I think: dark shirt to offset a bright tie, framed by neutrals.

Yesterday's lecture was about the English Civil War and the Puritans. The latter would most certainly have balked at my choice of colors--orange? Satanic. Kill it. They would also have burned me for sodomy.

20201006_112016.jpg 20201006_112112.jpg 20201006_112215.jpg

Miles R.

Reaction score
Yesterday's lecture was about the English Civil War and the Puritans. The latter would most certainly have balked at my choice of colors--orange? Satanic. Kill it. They would also have burned me for sodomy.

That last word always puts me in mind of a bit of dialogue from Animal Crackers:

Groucho: Well, what do you say, girls? Are we all going to get married?
Woman: All of us? But that's bigamy!
Groucho: Yes; and it's big of me, too!

Except my version goes:

Groucho: [line missing]
Woman: But that's sodomy!
Groucho: Yes; and it's odd of me, too!

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
That last word always puts me in mind of a bit of dialogue from Animal Crackers:

Groucho: Well, what do you say, girls? Are we all going to get married?
Woman: All of us? But that's bigamy!
Groucho: Yes; and it's big of me, too!

Except my version goes:

Groucho: [line missing]
Woman: But that's sodomy!
Groucho: Yes; and it's odd of me, too!

Any jokes about sodomy lead to one or two places for me, both Biblical: (1.) being very salty about a situation, and (2.) Leviticus and the Sin of Polyester.

Green, brown, orange, and pale blue today.

View attachment 1475809

I love these kinds of autumnal combinations. The waistcoat, tie, and hat play together wonderfully.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Oddjob.

Did I dress thoughtfully? Did I dress with a sense of occasion? This was my attempt.

I suppose this is what y'all refer to as The Uniform: gray + navy. I chose subdued autumn colors as the accent. And yes, I own that the bowler is an affectation, which I wear most proudly.

20201012_172041.jpg 20201012_172946.jpg 20201012_173203.jpg 20201012_173141.jpg

Miles R.

Reaction score
I suppose this is what y'all refer to as The Uniform: gray + navy. I chose subdued autumn colors as the accent. And yes, I own that the bowler is an affectation, which I wear most proudly.
I don't think I should ever venture to wear a bowler, but I think that a homburg may lie in my future.

I really like the shade of orange in that tie. For years, I avoided orange altogether. Now it is my favorite color (or range of colors) for pairing with green (which is a color-range that I have always been drawn to).

I've been reading a fair bit of Orwell lately---The Road to Wigan Pier, Burmese Days, and the essays (including the long but instructive slog "The Lion and the Unicorn")---and it is not terribly long since I read Homage to Catalonia and re-read Animal Farm; but I haven't read 1984 since high school and don't own a copy!

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
I don't think I should ever venture to wear a bowler, but I think that a homburg may lie in my future.

I really like the shade of orange in that tie. For years, I avoided orange altogether. Now it is my favorite color (or range of colors) for pairing with green (which is a color-range that I have always been drawn to).

I've been reading a fair bit of Orwell lately---The Road to Wigan Pier, Burmese Days, and the essays (including the long but instructive slog "The Lion and the Unicorn")---and it is not terribly long since I read Homage to Catalonia and re-read Animal Farm; but I haven't read 1984 since high school and don't own a copy!

Many thanks! Orange is one of my university colors, so I've begun to incorporate more of it into my tie collection over the years. I like to balance out the orange with a backdrop of neutrals.

As for Orwell--honestly, I'm not so sure I want to teach him again. Rereading him was harrowing. While I understand why Orwell wants us to experience discomfort, the whole thing read like despair Appreciation in the end.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Gold and grey.

This shirt is an old custom shirt I purchased over a dozen years ago. The bowtie hides the fray of the collar. Many pixels have been spilled these past few years over the need for sustainability in fashion, which I support, even to fault.

A critique of my trousers on an adjacent thread has me wondering how many pieces in my wardrobe are destined for the tailors--and, in turn, how much of my monthly budget I can devote to such endeavors.

Attachments

• 20201013_143329.jpg
    20201013_143329.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201013_143309.jpg
    20201013_143309.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20201013_143142.jpg
    20201013_143142.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 23

Miles R.

Reaction score
As for Orwell--honestly, I'm not so sure I want to teach him again. Rereading him was harrowing. While I understand why Orwell wants us to experience discomfort, the whole thing read like despair Appreciation in the end.
That may explain why I have not returned to that particular work since reading it in high school.

Wearing the new madder tie (from Shibumi) for the first time. Still in an orange vein, but toward red. Hat, coat, and mask are all blue, though my feeble camera and bad interior lighting do not show that very well.

2020.10.13 (1).JPG

2020.10.13 (2).JPG

2020.10.13 (3).JPG

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
That may explain why I have not returned to that particular work since reading it in high school.

Wearing the new madder tie (from Shibumi) for the first time. Still in an orange vein, but toward red. Hat, coat, and mask are all blue, though my feeble camera and bad interior lighting do not show that very well.

View attachment 1476518

View attachment 1476519

View attachment 1476520

I love the accents of burnt orange. You're right that the interior lighting drained the color of the jacket: I thought it was brown.

Do your students comment on your style often?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads