• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you dress like an adult today?

Miles R.

Reaction score
For a summer day in September. Two rare choices: a flat cap instead of a fedora, and a bow tie instead of a necktie. As you can see, I am less picky about my household furniture than about my clothes.

2020.09.25 (1a).JPG

2020.09.25 (2).JPG

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
For a summer day in September. Two rare choices: a flat cap instead of a fedora, and a bow tie instead of a necktie. As you can see, I am less picky about my household furniture than about my clothes.

View attachment 1465376

View attachment 1465381

I love this last summer combination. I always have a difficult time with pink shirts, yet you pull it off wonderfully.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Belatedly, yesterday's outfit: Paisley and stripes.

Did I dress thoughtfully? Did I dress with a sense of occasion? This was yesterday's attempt.

I considered pairing this bold pattern with a solid shirt, but I decided to to with a pale gray stripe that rhymes with one of the minor colors of the tie. Hesitant to pile on the patterns, I chose solids to frame the rest. I'm still reluctant to venture into pattern mixing. If that's what makes my style safe and predictable, then I suppose I'll take that, for now.

Threads cited:

Items purchased new: Brooks Brothers shirt, Ballin trousers, Coppley DB blazer, Allen Edmonds laceups, Goldtoe socks.

Items purchased pre-owned from eBay, thrift, & consignment: Albert Thurston braces, Carrot & Gibbs tie.

Antique linen pocket square from a friend.

Fedora: Goorin Brothers in Charleston

Timex Weekender watch with Smart Turnout watch band.

Glasses and sunglasses: Warby Parker.

#VintageStyleNotVintageValues #stylishacademic #professorstyle #fashionintheclassroom #BlackLivesMatter

20200928_114335.jpg 20200928_114419.jpg 20200928_172129.jpg 20200928_172001.jpg 20200928_171910.jpg

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Belatedly, yesterday's outfit: One of these is hipster glasses.

Did I dress thoughtfully yesterday? Did I dress with a sense of occasion? This was my attempt.

Solid tie, patterned shirt. This combination feels a bit younger and perhaps last decade, but I'm not too concerned. I'm so restrained with my patterning anyway that I believe I can justify a shirt that borders on "busy" like this. And yes, I know that we're supposed to thumb our noses at things like novelty tie pins, but my students love these little glasses, and I like wearing things that my students like to see.

The pocket square is one of about a dozen that my grandmother made for me years ago out of quilting fabric.

20200929_112539.jpg 20200929_112553.jpg 20200929_112442.jpg

americantrad

Reaction score
Hi all!

New to SF and this is my first post. Today I wore a long-sleeve polo shirt, grey trousers, and black loafers. I wanted to be comfortable but not too casual while WFH.

I feel that the shirt is a bit too slim, and the trousers are hemmed too short. Would appreciate some other opinions on this. Thanks!

IG: @theamericantraditional

2DC529A4-0E73-44A3-A3CD-BA4E139B507A.jpeg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did I dress thoughtfully yesterday? Did I dress with a sense of occasion? This was my attempt.

Solid tie, patterned shirt. This combination feels a bit younger and perhaps last decade, but I'm not too concerned. I'm so restrained with my patterning anyway that I believe I can justify a shirt that borders on "busy" like this. And yes, I know that we're supposed to thumb our noses at things like novelty tie pins, but my students love these little glasses, and I like wearing things that my students like to see.

The pocket square is one of about a dozen that my grandmother made for me years ago out of quilting fabric.

View attachment 1468422 View attachment 1468423 View attachment 1468424

Looks like an orphan suit jacket

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1468422 View attachment 1468423 View attachment 1468424
Any particular reason for your preference for NATO/RAF straps? I've been trying to ignore the clash in formality but it is rather difficult especially considering the relatively bright leather chosen... a plain or mildly textured mid-dark brown leather strap would work so much better! You could argue it is your touch of whimsy but there is already the tie clip (and often, the tie) for that.

I also think you won't hold it against me if I suggest replacing the orange plastic with a whangee handled black number. More PG Wodehouse, less "Robert Galbraith". It is so rare to see people think of the umbrella - more frequently chosen for function over form - that it has a disproportionate impact when you do.

Miles R.

Reaction score
Hi all!

New to SF and this is my first post. Today I wore a long-sleeve polo shirt, grey trousers, and black loafers. I wanted to be comfortable but not too casual while WFH.

I feel that the shirt is a bit too slim, and the trousers are hemmed too short. Would appreciate some other opinions on this. Thanks!

IG: @theamericantraditional

View attachment 1468746
Welcome to the group, and to this thread. The fit of the shirt looks fine to me, given the narrow cut of the trouser legs, but I agree that the trousers are too short. Where did you get them? They look very much like a pair I have, from Pini Parma.

The following opinion of mine may not be widely shared, but the formal associations of black calf seem to me at odds with the casual tone of loafers, especially when they are worn without visible socks.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Belatedly, yesterday's outfit: Paisley and stripes.

Did I dress thoughtfully? Did I dress with a sense of occasion? This was yesterday's attempt.

I considered pairing this bold pattern with a solid shirt, but I decided to to with a pale gray stripe that rhymes with one of the minor colors of the tie. Hesitant to pile on the patterns, I chose solids to frame the rest. I'm still reluctant to venture into pattern mixing. If that's what makes my style safe and predictable, then I suppose I'll take that, for now.

Threads cited:

Items purchased new: Brooks Brothers shirt, Ballin trousers, Coppley DB blazer, Allen Edmonds laceups, Goldtoe socks.

Items purchased pre-owned from eBay, thrift, & consignment: Albert Thurston braces, Carrot & Gibbs tie.

Antique linen pocket square from a friend.

Fedora: Goorin Brothers in Charleston

Timex Weekender watch with Smart Turnout watch band.

Glasses and sunglasses: Warby Parker.

#VintageStyleNotVintageValues #stylishacademic #professorstyle #fashionintheclassroom #BlackLivesMatter

View attachment 1467651 View attachment 1467652 View attachment 1467653 View attachment 1467654 View attachment 1467655

That tie is excellent.

americantrad

Reaction score
Welcome to the group, and to this thread. The fit of the shirt looks fine to me, given the narrow cut of the trouser legs, but I agree that the trousers are too short. Where did you get them? They look very much like a pair I have, from Pini Parma.

The following opinion of mine may not be widely shared, but the formal associations of black calf seem to me at odds with the casual tone of loafers, especially when they are worn without visible socks.

Great points, Miles. Yes, the pants are Pini. I hemmed them myself but went about an inch too short, Lol! And I hadn't considered that about the loafers before. What kind of loafer would you recommend as a more casual alternative?

Miles R.

Reaction score
Great points, Miles. Yes, the pants are Pini. I hemmed them myself but went about an inch too short, Lol! And I hadn't considered that about the loafers before. What kind of loafer would you recommend as a more casual alternative?
There are many shades of brown that I think work well in loafers, as well as reds (notably oxblood and what is sometimes called "cordovan," meaning not the leather but the dark purplish-red often used for cordovan shoes). And of course there is the option of suede rather than calfskin: see for example the photo of @cr2596 earlier on this page. In the second photo below, I am wearing Allen Edmonds Randolph loafers in what I think they call "coffee," which is a light brown that works well in summer and early autumn.

I really like this linen pocket square.

2020.10.03 (1).jpg

You can't see the pattern of the socks, but they have thin blue stipes against broader reddish-orange stripes.

2020.10.03 (2).jpg

jiredell

Reaction score
I have been dressing for work but
My schedule makes it difficult to get anyone else to get a pic for me, hence the rather not-so-helpful bathroom image.
B6C74F58-A031-44B9-B83A-D386D9D80AE9.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads