• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you dress like an adult today?

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Not quite fall. I was originally going to wear this with my olive trousers from yesterday to recall the green of the tie, but then I realized that I wore those trousers yesterday. And that's where my brain is right now.

This is the fall/winter version of the single-breasted navy jacket I had yesterday. It's my go-to cool season jacket that goes with practically everything. It pairs well with a fedora, it turns out.

20200916_143211.jpg 20200916_143051.jpg 20200916_095405.jpg

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
What is the point of this thread if the OP is cross-posting every fit with the same verbiage in the WAYWT thread?

I will confess that there is overlap, but I maintain that my posts are not the same. I wanted to see a different slice of the SF community. I also wanted to see what would happen if the conversation shifted away from brands, and more towards composition.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve popped in and out of this thread with some curiosity. I’m not sure I’m following the whole “adult” thing. Is it to imply that to dress otherwise is not adult like?

It’s just odd. Why would one need to label it as “adult”?

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
I’ve popped in and out of this thread with some curiosity. I’m not sure I’m following the whole “adult” thing. Is it to imply that to dress otherwise is not adult like?

It’s just odd. Why would one need to label it as “adult”?

The idea for the thread arose from a conversation I had with another SF member in which we both came to the conclusion that nobody agrees on what it means to dress like an adult anymore. My own outfits communicate what that idea means to me. However, there are plenty of ways to put an outfit together thoughtfully, and with a sense of occasion. So I wanted to see what that meant to everyone else.

So far, I've been impressed with the results. I've seen a few SF folks here who (to my knowledge) don't post on the usual WAYWRN threads, and that has been refreshing. There have also been a few folks who expect me to be amused by their decision to wear crocs, and that too has been interesting to see, though perhaps not for the reason those folks intended. It is a different cross-section of the community than what I expected.

As I've alluded to above, subtracting the brand names opens the discussion up to other people. Yes, on the one hand, posting the brand names is useful to those folks who are still building their wardrobes. When I was starting mine, I would snoop around SF and look for the brands that folks were wearing, and that indeed was instructive. I will also add that I post my brand names in the WAYWRN thread because I find it interesting to see which items I return to, sometimes multiple times a week.

On the other hand, the emphasis on brand names runs the risk of encouraging people to preen. I found that aspect of the WAYWRN thread offputting, hence my impetus to subtract the brand names from this thread.

@FlyingMonkey brings up the valid point that I need to differentiate my posts better between the two threads, so I shall endeavor to do so in the future. As I often tell my students, it is respectful to be open to criticism. There were some folks on the WAYWRN thread who could use a lesson or two in how to take a critique.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The idea for the thread arose from a conversation I had with another SF member in which we both came to the conclusion that nobody agrees on what it means to dress like an adult anymore. My own outfits communicate what that idea means to me. However, there are plenty of ways to put an outfit together thoughtfully, and with a sense of occasion. So I wanted to see what that meant to everyone else.

So far, I've been impressed with the results. I've seen a few SF folks here who (to my knowledge) don't post on the usual WAYWRN threads, and that has been refreshing. There have also been a few folks who expect me to be amused by their decision to wear crocs, and that too has been interesting to see, though perhaps not for the reason those folks intended. It is a different cross-section of the community than what I expected.

As I've alluded to above, subtracting the brand names opens the discussion up to other people. Yes, on the one hand, posting the brand names is useful to those folks who are still building their wardrobes. When I was starting mine, I would snoop around SF and look for the brands that folks were wearing, and that indeed was instructive. I will also add that I post my brand names in the WAYWRN thread because I find it interesting to see which items I return to, sometimes multiple times a week.

On the other hand, the emphasis on brand names runs the risk of encouraging people to preen. I found that aspect of the WAYWRN thread offputting, hence my impetus to subtract the brand names from this thread.

@FlyingMonkey brings up the valid point that I need to differentiate my posts better between the two threads, so I shall endeavor to do so in the future. As I often tell my students, it is respectful to be open to criticism. There were some folks on the WAYWRN thread who could use a lesson or two in how to take a critique.

then shouldn’t the title just be “how did I dress today”?

The term adult suggests at least some objective measure of some criteria but if you say no one can agree and that you’re putting forth your conception, then doesn’t the term “dressing like an adult” lose all meaning?

Don’t get me wrong, I sort of like some of the looks you’ve put together, but I’m failing to see how this thread is really unique in any sense.

just my two cents.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a safe space for pretentious people to discuss the wearing of fedoras and other advanced strategies for protecting their virginity.
“Spring, love, happiness! Are you not weary of that stupid, meaningless, constantly repeated fraud? Always the same and always a fraud? There is no spring, no sun, no happiness! [...] Yes, the oak is right, a thousand times right,” thought Prince Andrew. “Let others—the young—yield afresh to that fraud, but we know life, our life is finished! Yet we must live out our life, content to do no harm, and not disturbing ourselves or desiring anything.”
- Tolstoy
(I hope we're not sticking to American literature, LB. Thoreau didn't feel quite right...)

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
then shouldn’t the title just be “how did I dress today”?

The term adult suggests at least some objective measure of some criteria but if you say no one can agree and that you’re putting forth your conception, then doesn’t the term “dressing like an adult” lose all meaning?

Don’t get me wrong, I sort of like some of the looks you’ve put together, but I’m failing to see how this thread is really unique in any sense.

just my two cents.
It is unique because LB started it and is leading it. In a way BSB nailed that part. Sometimes a group gets too large, and splinters on the margin. I do think LB's voice is relatively unique, despite misreading a light hearted allusion to "adulting" as last decade's youth called it.

cr2596

Reaction score
Why is anyone upset at new content or discussion? Regardless if some of the posts also exist in other threads. Contribute or don’t. No need to **** on those that choose the former.

I’m dressed like a kid, today. Lots of cleaning and moving tasks, thus exercise clothes and fun Pumas.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is anyone upset at new content or discussion? Regardless if some of the posts also exist in other threads. Contribute or don’t. No need to **** on those that choose the former.

I’m dressed like a kid, today. Lots of cleaning and moving tasks, thus exercise clothes and fun Pumas.

It's amazing how easy it is to just not click into a thread you're not interested in. It's like it takes no effort at all :)

I think the "self-appointed moderator" is the most loathsome of all internet forum members.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
@am55 Gin over vodka, dahling. I'm an effete little Brit Lit lad.

Moving on . . .

Did I dress thoughtfully today? Did I dress with a sense of occasion? Here's my attempt.

I meant this outfit for a sunnier day, really, but certain tropical storms had other plans. Two solids, three patterns, and my go-to navy + tan formula. I'll admit that the tie is a bit bulky for SF standards, but I quite like it that way. Balances the lapel.

IMG_20200917_121555_760.jpg 20200917_115412.jpg

Last edited:

cr2596

Reaction score
@am55 Gin over vodka, dahling. I'm an effete little Brit Lit lad.

Moving on . . .

Did I dress thoughtfully today? Did I dress with a sense of occasion? Here's my attempt.

I meant this outfit for a sunnier day, really, but certain tropical storms had other plans. Two solids, three patterns, and my go-to navy + tan formula. I'll admit that the tie is a bit bulky for SF standards, but I quite like it that way. Balances the lapel.

View attachment 1460290 View attachment 1460280
Perhaps a tighter knot would help with the bulkiness. The width does work.

It's amazing how easy it is to just not click into a thread you're not interested in. It's like it takes no effort at all :)

I think the "self-appointed moderator" is the most loathsome of all internet forum members.
Things won't always be as individuals expect or want. It's about the community.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gentlemen! Nice forum you have here. I have greatly enjoyed all of your contributions but was wondering if you could change your posts in this highly specific way so they appeal a little more to me and no one else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads