• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you dress like an adult today?

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Pistachio, rose, and the jacket that I pair with everything. This tie and these trousers appear together in my outfits several times a year. It was the trousers I bought first, since their olive color allows them to pretend to be gray or green. The socks I chose to be a shade darker than the trousers, to transition to the monkstraps.

My apologies for the umbrella, which in no way goes with the rest. A proper brolly is an eventual investment, much further down the line.

Today we discussed whether Billy Shakes' swan song, with its tropes of sorcery and physical comedy, qualifies as "great" play. Answers varied: many maintained that the play's outward ornaments disqualified it, while others defended the argument that great books can and ought to be enjoyable.

Ars gratia artis? I'm an effete little lad, so I think y'all know where I stand on that matter.

Stay safe. Stay sane. Speak truth to power.

20200915_114331.jpg 20200915_115055.jpg 20200915_114427.jpg 20200915_112831.jpg

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I managed to dress like an adult today for a video court hearing. And yes, I did wear the suit trousers. No, I did not wear socks or shoes. But if I had, I would have gone with charcoal ribbed merino and either burgundy wingtips or black cap toes.
Video court appearances have been interesting. For the most part everyone's been dressing similarly to how they did in-person, but every once in a while for quick hearings you'll see someone without a jacket or tie on and no one seems to care. People have been pretty forgiving.
20200915_090439.jpg

cr2596

Reaction score
@cr2596 There's a history of skin cancer on one side of my family, so I understand the necessity of the hat. I like the style of this one, as well as the loose shirt. After a decade of slim fit everything, I've grown fonder of looser garments. Are the shoes Belgians?
I appreciate a looser trouser or jacket, but loose shirts are not really my thing. I’m still in a place of working with what I have, thus I do just that.

Yes, Belgian slippers from Yanko via Skolyx. I enjoyed their first real outing.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I wear the corpses of baby cows and horse ass meat exclusively on my feet, so I'm afraid I have no interest in vegan clothes.

Also, your men's clothing line is just obnoxious vegan wear. Sorry, I'd like to not come off as a total asshole and female repeller.
sorry what ?

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Still a worthy challenge, no? Such opportunities for exploration, when most of what Huxley was afraid of has become the new normal... the book must be quite confusing to a modern young audience!

Less confusing than one might think. This is a generation that has grown up on over a decade of dystopian fiction, after all. So the content is less surprising than finding out where all of these standard dystopian tropes come from.

soto_nw

Reaction score
Had to go drop off something at UPS...decided it's hot enough in CA to still wear a summery outfit. Realized I wanted to use the loafers today because I love showing how they can be paired. To be honest I was feeling a little lazy, so the white pants seemed easiest. I love this shirt and have not had a chance to wear it, and pairing it here seemed to make the most sense (though it looks blue in pictures and in person, it's actually various combinations of different shades/tones of gray.

Feel free to ask any questions or offer any criticism/suggestions.

Attachments

• Teal Loafers.jpg
    Teal Loafers.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 32
  • White Flowers Teal 1.jpg
    White Flowers Teal 1.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 49
  • White Flowers Teal 2.jpg
    White Flowers Teal 2.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 53

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Changed my polo today. Stayed with the crocs.

Butler

Reaction score
@Over/Under Many thanks! The tie was an eBay find. I've been trying to search for ties with wider blades for the past few years, and this one proved to be an unexpected gem.

@never_behind I'm always drawn to combinations involving pink and gray. Well done!

@cr2596 There's a history of skin cancer on one side of my family, so I understand the necessity of the hat. I like the style of this one, as well as the loose shirt. After a decade of slim fit everything, I've grown fonder of looser garments. Are the shoes Belgians?

@Miles R. You're aware of my approval of any variation of the navy-white-tan color scheme. That hat is superb, too. However, I find myself most impressed by your bookshelves!

@Butler Several have commented to that effect, that the socks were too jarring for the rest, so I accept the critique. Many thanks! I believe this makes a case for my investing in more cream colored socks, since those seem to be the only ones that go well with white or cream trousers. (Unless one foregoes socks altogether, but that's a different conversation.)
You are welcome - btw the general rule is that socks should match the trousers...

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@shrink1061 I think the shoes are a little dainty for moleskins and the shirt not really seasonal. I think a tattersall shirt, brown belt and chunky Trickers style brogues would work a lot better. I do like the brown moleskins though. I have a similar pair from Cordings.

shrink1061

Reaction score
@shrink1061 I think the shoes are a little dainty for moleskins and the shirt not really seasonal. I think a tattersall shirt, brown belt and chunky Trickers style brogues would work a lot better. I do like the brown moleskins though. I have a similar pair from Cordings.

they’re purple ;)

and normally brogues etc would be th choice, but was nice to break out some black!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads