• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you dress like an adult today?

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
I needed to attend to an errand today and decided to go early to take advantage of it being relatively cool at only 63°F (17.2°C) so that I could wear my new navy blazer along with a grey waistcoat that I hadn't had a chance to wear yet and matching trousers, all under my navy lord's hat.

Saturday Morning Shopping Apparel.JPG

My usual 'casual dress' is an odd jacket over matching waistcoat and trousers. I thought that the navy would play reasonable well with the light grey. In retrospect, I perhaps should have chosen a different bowtie. (Yes, the collar on that shirt isn't behaving, I need to talk to my shirtmaker about that) The pocket square is a silk twill; it has a black-and-gold pattern on its face, but it ended up showing the white reverse. The cloth is awkward to fold and not very cooperative. The boutonnière is just a silk Edelweiß. The hat is my usual 'round town' hat and pairs pretty straightforwardly with the blazer.

I'm wearing a pair of brown derbies with grey linen socks, but those didn't make the picture.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
@Encathol Epistemia Delightful! The navy & gray play off one another most pleasingly.

I intended to post one of my more casual outfits to this thread (sans neckwear, even), but time--alas--has quite run away from me this weekend. I look forward to seeing more from you.

Over/Under

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Navy, mustard, olive, and stripes.

As September draws on, I try combining more autumnal colors into things. The trees down here don't even think about changing until October, so there will still be plenty of green to go around. Unintentionally, I echoed the color of the stripes in the mask, which is conveniently in college colors.

I realize that the tie is wider than the lapel, which some would hold to be a faux pas. But I do find myself drawn to wider blades in my eBay wanderings.

View attachment 1455593 View attachment 1455594 View attachment 1455595
LOVE the tie. Everything looks great, but LOVE the tie.

never_behind

Reaction score
With WFH I am wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Friday I went to the office. Decided to go for some color at the accounting firm with the pink shirt. Figured I’d keep everything else low key.

Picture is a little dark (more mid-grey and blue); probably should have asked someone other than my passing 9year old to take it.

712A013E-7A2B-4DED-9904-9C038EE31A73.jpeg

zcostilla

Reaction score
Church today, wore charcoal dress slacks by Polo, light blue Gold Label oxford shirt from Dillard’s, Brooks Brothers 1818 blazer, burgundy bowtie and pocket square that was burgundy with blue designs to match the shirt. Sorry I didn’t take a photo. Will try to add one in before the evening service.

cr2596

Reaction score
For the most part, I did, today. Going to a friends backyard bbq to celebrate her birthday. First and foremost, casual and cool (temp) mated with a hat were the main concerns. As a bald man, the hat is a necessity. I chose the pants because they are my most roomy and comfortable for all activities. Won’t be surprised if I’m asked to help move/set stuff up. The shirt is rather baggy, but catching wind in linen is a plus, here in New Orleans. The shoes are new and fun and something different for me. I think the colors all work pretty congruently.

D0BCD3FC-6D91-4186-800F-FF3AF80236BB.jpeg

Miles R.

Reaction score
I love it.

As a fellow academic, I quite dig your style.

That being said, philosophers are always better dressed than English professors, just sayin'.
Philosopher here. I wish it were so, but I don't think it is. And I don't mean that as any credit to English professors.

Sorry about the skinny tie. I regret my choice to purchase it in the first place, but of the ties available in my closet it went best with the other things I'm wearing, which include striped socks of lilac on sage (not visible in photo).

2020.09.13.JPG

Butler

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Butterflies. This will be the last of my blue-white-tan variations for the summer. I considered pairing the tie, trousers, and jacket with an ecru shirt to go with a coffee & cream theme, but decided that the blue shirt made it look a bit less washed out.

Does this mean flannel and tweed from here on out? Far from it. Temperatures in my climate are still flirting with 30 degrees celsius, so it will be lightweight cotton pieces in earth tones for the remainder of the month, until I can start with some of the lighter weight wool.

I hope one day to stroll through September in nothing but solaro wool, but today is not that day.

View attachment 1454555 View attachment 1454556 View attachment 1454557 View attachment 1454558
This is a very nice combo but the blue socks, and particularly the amount shown, unnecessary draws the attention away from it...

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a very nice combo but the blue socks, and particularly the amount shown, unnecessary draws the attention away from it...

I posted about this before, my theory being that loafers always take dark socks or socks that match the trouser colour. Brightly coloured socks look awful with loafers unless you're spending a Sunday afternoon on the sands at Las Ventas.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
LOVE the tie. Everything looks great, but LOVE the tie.

@Over/Under Many thanks! The tie was an eBay find. I've been trying to search for ties with wider blades for the past few years, and this one proved to be an unexpected gem.

With WFH I am wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Friday I went to the office. Decided to go for some color at the accounting firm with the pink shirt. Figured I’d keep everything else low key.

Picture is a little dark (more mid-grey and blue); probably should have asked someone other than my passing 9year old to take it.

View attachment 1457341

@never_behind I'm always drawn to combinations involving pink and gray. Well done!

For the most part, I did, today. Going to a friends backyard bbq to celebrate her birthday. First and foremost, casual and cool (temp) mated with a hat were the main concerns. As a bald man, the hat is a necessity. I chose the pants because they are my most roomy and comfortable for all activities. Won’t be surprised if I’m asked to help move/set stuff up. The shirt is rather baggy, but catching wind in linen is a plus, here in New Orleans. The shoes are new and fun and something different for me. I think the colors all work pretty congruently.

View attachment 1457544

@cr2596 There's a history of skin cancer on one side of my family, so I understand the necessity of the hat. I like the style of this one, as well as the loose shirt. After a decade of slim fit everything, I've grown fonder of looser garments. Are the shoes Belgians?

Philosopher here. I wish it were so, but I don't think it is. And I don't mean that as any credit to English professors.

Sorry about the skinny tie. I regret my choice to purchase it in the first place, but of the ties available in my closet it went best with the other things I'm wearing, which include striped socks of lilac on sage (not visible in photo).

View attachment 1457745

@Miles R. You're aware of my approval of any variation of the navy-white-tan color scheme. That hat is superb, too. However, I find myself most impressed by your bookshelves!

@Butler Several have commented to that effect, that the socks were too jarring for the rest, so I accept the critique. Many thanks! I believe this makes a case for my investing in more cream colored socks, since those seem to be the only ones that go well with white or cream trousers. (Unless one foregoes socks altogether, but that's a different conversation.)

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Belatedly, yesterday's outfit: The Hounds of Summer. Still too warm in my climate for anything winter-weight, but these wool trousers proved breathable enough. Yes, I bought the tie (secondhand) with the intention of pairing them with these trousers. This might be one of the last kelly green ensembles I can get away with before we transition to astronomical autumn up here in the northern hemisphere.

Fun fact: I planned to teach Aldous Huxley this semester before I knew that the Peacock Network was doing a remake of Huxley's classic. Serendipity.

20200914_103547.jpg 20200914_143704.jpg 20200914_104907.jpg 20200914_103436.jpg

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fun fact: I planned to teach Aldous Huxley this semester before I knew that the Peacock Network was doing a remake of Huxley's classic. Serendipity.
Still a worthy challenge, no? Such opportunities for exploration, when most of what Huxley was afraid of has become the new normal... the book must be quite confusing to a modern young audience!

Miles R.

Reaction score
@Miles R. You're aware of my approval of any variation of the navy-white-tan color scheme. That hat is superb, too. However, I find myself most impressed by your bookshelves!
I was hoping that you would appreciate both points! Some details of the latter: to the left of my head, George Orwell; to the right, Anthony Powell; at my right elbow, Shakespeare; just below that, Trollope and Twain; in the original photo, but outside the frame of the edited version that I posted, running along the tops of three bookcases, some eighty-three volumes of P. G. Wodehouse (also one on the shelves, at the tail of my coat). Aldous Huxley is in another bookcase. My personal favorite of his production remains Antic Hay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads