• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you dress like an adult today?

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
This is a thread about putting outfits together with care and attention to detail. It is not about brands, or bespoke this or that. Here are the rules:
  • Post pictures of what you wore today. Streetwear, classic, vintage--any genre goes. (Yes, this is under "Classic Menswear," but only out of convenience.)
  • Only mention brand names when asked.
  • With each picture, write a little about how you composed this outfit. What choices went into it? Why did you pair this with that?
  • No gatekeeping, please. This thread is for those of us who are still building our wardrobes and still trying to figure out what works. None of us have "made it" yet.
  • Critique, if invited to do so. Be honest, but not snarky or rude. Use your big boy words.
Our goal is to dress for ourselves: in a world of sweatpants and beige, we present a spot of color, and a glimmer of thought.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Butterflies. This will be the last of my blue-white-tan variations for the summer. I considered pairing the tie, trousers, and jacket with an ecru shirt to go with a coffee & cream theme, but decided that the blue shirt made it look a bit less washed out.

Does this mean flannel and tweed from here on out? Far from it. Temperatures in my climate are still flirting with 30 degrees celsius, so it will be lightweight cotton pieces in earth tones for the remainder of the month, until I can start with some of the lighter weight wool.

I hope one day to stroll through September in nothing but solaro wool, but today is not that day.

20200907_101701.jpg 20200907_143751.jpg 20200907_174628.jpg 20200907_174651.jpg

Attachments

• 20200907_174715.jpg
    20200907_174715.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of questions about how you put this outfit together. Is it ok if I ask them?

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Butterflies. This will be the last of my blue-white-tan variations for the summer. I considered pairing the tie, trousers, and jacket with an ecru shirt to go with a coffee & cream theme, but decided that the blue shirt made it look a bit less washed out.

Does this mean flannel and tweed from here on out? Far from it. Temperatures in my climate are still flirting with 30 degrees celsius, so it will be lightweight cotton pieces in earth tones for the remainder of the month, until I can start with some of the lighter weight wool.

I hope one day to stroll through September in nothing but solaro wool, but today is not that day.

View attachment 1454555 View attachment 1454556 View attachment 1454557 View attachment 1454558
Nice but I’d have liked a bit more contrast twixt the jacket and trousers while more toned down socks ( the shoes are already rather prominent)

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today I wore jeans, dark t-shirt, grey hoodie, sneakers. (No picture needed)

Such is life working in tech.

This glimmer of honesty I find most refreshing.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
I am wearing basketball shorts and a t-shirt since I work from home :) may I ask what kind of work you do? Feels like you are going to a summer party in the Hamptons.

I'm a literature professor, and every class is a posh party. (Masked, socially distanced, and rife with Monty Python references.)

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to go into the office today (maybe the 5th time since March), so I wore a sportcoat, OCBD and light grey wool trousers. No pic, unfortunately.

Back to WFH tomorrow, which means a LS polo and jeans probably.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. If you consider an adult as someone with an
unkempt beard, ill-fitting jeans,. a worn polo, and
dirty running shoes who looks like he just got off
a Trailways bus and is on his way to the local food
bank.

Last edited:

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
I love it.

As a fellow academic, I quite dig your style.

That being said, philosophers are always better dressed than English professors, just sayin'.

Them's fightin' words. But you preceeded them with a complement, so you're forgiven.

Belatedly, yesterday's outfit: I know I said I'd swear off the navy/tan/white combinations. I lied. Thoughts on the jacket? The shoulders are a tad wide, and I'm afraid the construction isn't the best. I'll still wear it for the time being, of course, but I'll tag it for replacement later on, in some starry future when the student loan vultures reel away.

Stay safe. Stay sane. Speak truth to power.

20200908_151258.jpg 20200908_151317.jpg 20200908_151341.jpg

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Navy, mustard, olive, and stripes.

As September draws on, I try combining more autumnal colors into things. The trees down here don't even think about changing until October, so there will still be plenty of green to go around. Unintentionally, I echoed the color of the stripes in the mask, which is conveniently in college colors.

I realize that the tie is wider than the lapel, which some would hold to be a faux pas. But I do find myself drawn to wider blades in my eBay wanderings.

20200909_101641.jpg 20200909_101803.jpg 20200909_101606.jpg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I upgraded by slovenly derelict look
by substituting my ill-fitting jeans with a pair
of Incotex chinos. Everything else remains the
same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads