• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you/do you work while in college?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Spun off of Conne's thread, curious how many of you guys worked while you were studying.

Personally I always did, did everything from umpiring indoor cricket to making pizzas to tending bar, but spent most of my college years selling suits in both of Australia's largest department stores.

Im glad I did, taught me a lot about the real world that all those books that I was supposed to be reading couldnt have.

What about you guys - current students, do you have a job? People past the college years - did you work?

edit - summer jobs and internships dont count. I mean while classes were on you were juggling time between making money and attending classes

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I worked as a tutor, and research assistant for some of my professors during the semester, and minimum wage jobs in the summer that typically involved loading bags of manure and stinky fertilizer for customers in their cars and trucks. Ah, good times. I wasn't stupid enough to take on 20 hr/wk jobs though - or smart enough I guess.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scraping oatmeal, dried egg yolks and God-knows-what-else off dishes at 6 am before feeding them into the Food Service dishwasher. In addition to stints serving hash and mopping floors at various times. All for minimum wage, of course.

Balanced out with an admittedly somewhat cushy job as a Resident Assistant (dorm counselor), "advising and counseling" female underclassmen in a co-ed dorm. Good times, good times... Who needs fraternities?

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a job (answered ad in newspaper) my 2nd week freshman year. A month later I was working 36-40/hrs a week and continued that pace until I quit 2 weeks after graduation. I worked through every summer, holiday, etc, as well.

I learned more working than in the classroom, and my job was career related (it gave me a solid foundation to the more specialized work I do now).

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't start University until I was 21 and it took me 7 years to get my degree as I kept taking breaks to earn some money, or do other interesting things with my life. During that time I travelled, worked various jobs at restaurants, played in a band, worked at a call centre. And I didn't get a cent from my parents. I did get student loans courtesy of the Government of Canada, which I paid off a few years ago by giving up the slacker artsy life and getting a real job.

Damn, I miss that slacker artsy life.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I taught an SAT class at Kaplan and worked in software development at IBM, IC2 Institute, sometimes simultaneously.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I worked three jobs in law school; dealer relations for Audi/VW, research assistant to prof, and USNR

Undergrad: didn't work first two years: GPA 2.7
Worked last two years: GPA 3.6

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
I worked three jobs in law school; dealer relations for Audi/VW, research assistant to prof, and USNR

Undergrad: didn't work first two years: GPA 2.7
Worked last two years: GPA 3.6

I've been working between 2-3 jobs at a time, for between 20-25 hours a week. I have also noticed my grades get better as I take on more and more responsibilities.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
During my undergrad I worked 2 jobs (work study $8 hall receptionist bullshit and tended bar) while studying and playing sports, and I worked full time during my FT MBA (which is tricky and requires a bit of flexibility from one's employer, but is possible)

lacoste_alot

Reaction score
i'm currently a full time student in irvine (3rd year) and i work as a restaurant manager from thursday-sunday... i work about 30+ hours a week.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
umpiring
Ugh. YOU SUCK REF! C'MON, YOU DIDN'T SEE THAT?!?! WAKE UP!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUT THERE!!! Sold hair products to salons for the first 2-3 years in College. When I went back to school I refereed Ice Hockey games and did odd jobs (painting / construction mostly). Got sick of chasing money and an inconsistent schedule so I got another steady part time job at the company I'm currently with. Unfortunately, since graduating college it's been difficult to find a job in my field because I've been with this company (different field) for the last 4 years. Unfortunately, because of work I missed graduating *** Laude by about a 1/10 of a point. At times it was just too much. If I didn't have to work as much, I would have done better in school. Although, I can say I'm proud to have gotten a degree and paid for it myself.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
No - I was a spoiled rich kid
tounge.gif

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't work much, because I was lucky enough to have parents who supported what my scholarship didn't cover. I did have a few part time jobs that weren't that many hours a week, and at that level of time commitment they definitely did not affect my grades.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Worked at various times for three outdoors shops selling gear; supervising the college climbing wall; coordinator for co-rec sports; paid psych experiments. Then there was the Army thing, which averaged out to about 12 hours a week.

Tom

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a new job at the moment, but yes, in general, in school and working and barely surviving. So it goes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads