1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Did this belt go for too much on ebay?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Jul 26, 2004.

1. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

alligator belt I sold several of these belts on Ebay and put my buy it now price as 49.50 for the first 2, and then raised it to 65 for the ones after that. All sold w/ buy it now immediately. Then I see this seller sell the same belt for 140. Was my price too low or did this auction above get out of hand?

2. Tom

Tom Senior Member

I think that was a reasonable price considering how hard it must be to find a quality belt at that size. I imagine that there are a lot of chubby guys out there looking for deals too. [​IMG] -Tom

3. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Do a search for completed auctions of Martin Dingman or Trafalgar alligator belts. $140 isn't unheard of, and I'd argue that it's not that unreasonable for an brand new alligator belt from a quality maker sold by a reputable seller. It's more than I'd pay, but I don't think that spending that much would be objectively disordered.

Your auctions don't seem to have lasted very long. Given that fact and what you were selling, I would think that you're underpricing them.

4. johnnynorman3

The longest one of my auctions lasted was 5 hours. I did, however, end up with a $325 profit from all the belt sales. I guess I continued to price it low because I wanted to make profits quickly and to make sure that I didn't have too many of the same product up for auction at once. I guess I've learned a little lesson, but still that $325 goes a long way, you know?

5. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Nothing wrong with that. You're happy, you got your money out fast, and I guarantee the guys who got the belts are happy.

6. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

BIN for $49.50 [​IMG] Yes, that was too cheap. $99 would have been a good price - they still would have sold quickly.

7. A Harris

Darn. I didn't know you had more of them - I would have bought the black and brown belts in size 40. Been looking for those for a while now...

8. johnnynorman3

9. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

I agree that was too cheap. At that price, I'd have been concerned that perhaps there was something wrong with the belt or was leather stamped "like" alligator. I actually paid @$50 for a used alligator belt several months ago. Plus, the Ebay seller you provided the link to clearly included the recomended retail price as being over $300 -- thus someone paying $140 still thinks he got a good price. Finally, just about anyone willing to pay for a gator belt has an idea of how expensive they are at retail. For a well respected name like Trafalgar, especially if you have good pictures in your auction, you should be able to get at least $80 repeatedly, if not considerably more.. Notice the auction had 19 bids, with 6-7 people bidding.... There's clearly a market.

10. A Harris

No problem, my fault for not keeping an eye out.