• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did this belt go for too much on ebay?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
alligator belt I sold several of these belts on Ebay and put my buy it now price as 49.50 for the first 2, and then raised it to 65 for the ones after that. All sold w/ buy it now immediately. Then I see this seller sell the same belt for 140. Was my price too low or did this auction above get out of hand?

Tom

Reaction score
I think that was a reasonable price considering how hard it must be to find a quality belt at that size. I imagine that there are a lot of chubby guys out there looking for deals too.
biggrin.gif
-Tom

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do a search for completed auctions of Martin Dingman or Trafalgar alligator belts. $140 isn't unheard of, and I'd argue that it's not that unreasonable for an brand new alligator belt from a quality maker sold by a reputable seller. It's more than I'd pay, but I don't think that spending that much would be objectively disordered.

Your auctions don't seem to have lasted very long. Given that fact and what you were selling, I would think that you're underpricing them.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The longest one of my auctions lasted was 5 hours. I did, however, end up with a $325 profit from all the belt sales. I guess I continued to price it low because I wanted to make profits quickly and to make sure that I didn't have too many of the same product up for auction at once. I guess I've learned a little lesson, but still that $325 goes a long way, you know?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I guess I've learned a little lesson, but still that $325 goes a long way, you know?
Nothing wrong with that. You're happy, you got your money out fast, and I guarantee the guys who got the belts are happy.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
BIN for $49.50
wow.gif
Yes, that was too cheap. $99 would have been a good price - they still would have sold quickly.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Darn. I didn't know you had more of them - I would have bought the black and brown belts in size 40. Been looking for those for a while now...

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that was too cheap. At that price, I'd have been concerned that perhaps there was something wrong with the belt or was leather stamped "like" alligator. I actually paid @$50 for a used alligator belt several months ago. Plus, the Ebay seller you provided the link to clearly included the recomended retail price as being over $300 -- thus someone paying $140 still thinks he got a good price. Finally, just about anyone willing to pay for a gator belt has an idea of how expensive they are at retail. For a well respected name like Trafalgar, especially if you have good pictures in your auction, you should be able to get at least $80 repeatedly, if not considerably more.. Notice the auction had 19 bids, with 6-7 people bidding.... There's clearly a market.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads