1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Did the STYLEman thread just vanish?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BlvdDandy, Feb 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Vidal is wrong. We've got 'em all over here. Thankfully, the more fringe they are on either side, the further they are from the levers of power. It's one of the reasons why we've been able to remain a republic for 228 years and counting.

2. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wow, Kaga has claws... I think you've had too much time on your hands since your show was cancelled.

That said, I agree with you.

3. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Can you elaborate on the last sentence?

4. RJman

Manto-san, as Kaga would say (IMMSMC), only in America out of what passes for the developed world would health care, social support and opposition to the death penalty be considered fringe.

5. Manton

Republican (small "r") government is hard to maintain. There are a lot of reasons for this. Anyway, throughout history, republicanism has been an anomaly. Before the founding of the United States, the only republic that can be said to have been truly successful was Rome. And even it eventually slithered into tyranny. It took 400 years or so, which is a pretty good run. I hope we last that long. Who knows?

6. Manton

That's not the fringe. All of those policies are in place, somewhere or another, to one degree or another, either at the federal or state level in this country. Not to the same extent as Europe, to be sure, but to imply that they don't exist is wrong.

7. RJman

Honest question, without any ulterior motive -- anyone know how long the republic of Venice lasted? I know it wasn't much of one, just curious.

Anyway, I knew that Styleman would keep making monkeys out of us -- look at this thread. Where'd Rbaalrajhi go? Back to Tora Bora?

8. Manton

About 700 years. But it was really an oligarchy.

9. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

I think it lasted from around 1200 to 1800 when it was conquered by Napoleon, but it was a Republic in name only and functioned as an oligarchy.

As for Styleman, I'm sure he is busy thinking up his next character for the board. Rbaalrajhi was kind of a flop.

10. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Well... if you avoid Sproul and Sather gate, especially during the first few weeks of the semester, you'll be okay [​IMG] . But you still have to avoid the occasional "naked group circle singalong" by a bunch of 50 something hippies [​IMG] . First time I saw it, I was wondering whether they were protesting something or just having a happy fun joy thing. Originally posted by Manton:
    Well.. an example. The founder of the "Silver Ring Thing" is a fervent believer that the "end is neigh", and this movement is close and dear to Mr. Bush's heart - just look at the amount of government funding they've been getting.

11. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

You weren't really disturbed by any of this, were you? I spent years in Berkeley, and frankly I never felt compelled to judge any of what others were doing. They did not judge me. Please explain. Also, please explain what is meant by "happy fun joy thing." Thanks.

12. Manton

I have no idea who you mean.

13. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

(T4phage @ Feb. 25 2005,10:57) Well... if you avoid Sproul and Sather gate, especially during the first few weeks of the semester, you'll be okay  [​IMG] . But you still have to avoid the occasional "naked group circle singalong" by a bunch of 50 something hippies  [​IMG] . First time I saw it, I was wondering whether they were protesting something or just having a happy fun joy thing.
    You weren't really disturbed by any of this, were you? Â I spent years in Berkeley, and frankly I never felt compelled to judge any of what others were doing. Â They did not judge me. Â Please explain. Â Also, please explain what is meant by "happy fun joy thing." Â Thanks.
    Nahh, it was pretty funny actually. (after you get over the inital shock of walking down Bancroft and seeing it) [​IMG] . What I meant about "Happy fun Joy" was when they were in their circle, it was pretty close and the sounds emanating was pretty close to what I would imagine a circle jerk would sound like. [​IMG] It's also a bit of a shock when "the naked guy" leaves the classroom as you enter...

14. Manton

I freely admit that I let Berkeley get to me. I was young and impressionable, and frankly shocked by the whole scene. If I had it to do over again, I would try harder to maintain an attitude of amused detachment. I would still be saddened, however, by the decline of a once-great university into a silly carnival.

15. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

(T4phage @ Feb. 25 2005,10:57) The founder of the "Silver Ring Thing" is a fervent believer that the "end is neigh", and this movement is close and dear to Mr. Bush's heart - just look at the amount of government funding they've been getting.
    I have no idea who you mean.
    You must have heard of the movement that promotes virginity? They affirm their virginity vow by wearing a silver ring... [​IMG]

16. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Hey. The Molecular Biology department is one of the finest in the world. As is the Computer Science dept.

17. Manton

Personally, I don't consider abstinence a fringe idea. Out of date? Arguably. Hard to maintain in this day and age? Certainly. Unpopular (almost despised) in certain quarters? No doubt.

18. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(T4phage @ Feb. 25 2005,11:09) You must have heard of the movement that promotes virginity? They affirm their virginity vow by wearing a silver ring...
    Personally, I don't consider abstinence a fringe idea. Out of date? Arguably. Hard to maintain in this day and age? Certainly. Unpopular (almost despised) in certain quarters? No doubt.
    Nuns wear silver rings? [​IMG] Jon.

19. Manton

The humanities and the social sciences are jokes, sad shadows of their prior greatness. And, as a whole, the rest of the school is basically a 1960s Fantasy Camp. Come play at protest for four -- or even five or six or seven -- years. Why not? Your parents are paying.

20. j

j Senior member Admin

This has nothing to do with clothing, so it is going to General.

Big Brother loves you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.