• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did the New Alden Shell Chukka's survive Chicago and the snow.

ELG

Reaction score
I took some New Alden Shell Chukka's with me to Chicago. They saw some serious action and took some snow hits. I am posting before and after pictures (the pic with the bright clue carpet is the before pic). I say they held up like champs. The vamp looks pretty dried out at the creases. I am wondering if I should rub them down with some Renovateur. What do you all think?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
No need. just give 'em a good brushing. I usually hit my shells with Reno once a year, at the end of the rainy season.

Ravello w/ natural edges? Niiiice.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you expected to happen to the uppers

it's the soles that are the potential problem (if you didn't have them topied, etc)

ELG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
I'm not sure what you expected to happen to the uppers

it's the soles that are the potential problem (if you didn't have them topied, etc)

The soles are good. I applied some Montana Pitch Blend before I left.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ELG
The soles are good. I applied some Montana Pitch Blend before I left.

I reno then a small coat of wax and buff if they get really wet. Your pictures are good as useless though.

ELG

Reaction score
The chukka's have what appear to be some small water spots on the vamp. Brushing has not helped. Should I apply some wax?

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ELG
The chukka's have what appear to be some small water spots on the vamp. Brushing has not helped. Should I apply some wax?

That's often what happens when you wear shells in the rain. I'd say your shoes survived about as well as I would have thought. Hopefully you're lucky and the bumps go away with time, wear, and brushing.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ELG

I guess they didn't hold up like champs

ELG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
I guess they didn't hold up like champs

Considering I was in zero-degree weather, snow, the Bears Packers game, and they still look smoooth, I would say they did indeed hold up like champs.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ELG
What shoes would have done better?

at a bears v packers game?? really???

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
This is not a knock, but I will never understand wearing shoes this nice out in crap weather. They aren't snow boots.

+fukkin 1.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go shovel in my shell boots but cmon they are meant to be worn. Of course preferably with a dainite or commando sole.

Going to a football game in the cold / snow I would indeed wear my duck boots

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads