• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did not know my RLBL suit wouldn't have beltloops!

BSullivan

Reaction score
Just picked up my first ever RLBL suit. Got home, put it on, and for the first time noticed it was loop-less. The fellow did say "you don't have to wear a belt because it's got side-tabs" but never having worn a side-tabbed suit, it never crossed my mind that it would not also have belt loops (in hindsight, not wearing a belt and with belt-looped pants might look fairly silly).

While I like the beltless look, I am sort of torn because I like belts as accessories. Can belt loops be added? Is that ridiculous?

I feel so small in this great big suiting world right now.

The suit looks great, though.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have all your other suits to wear belts with, i would leave this one as is.

BSullivan

Reaction score
Yes, I haven't decided yet. It's good to know though. As a newly minted attorney, I have very few suits though, so my "other suits" will be relegated to the back of my closet soon enough. This is standard gray, so my consideration is that as a core suit in my wardrobe, belt loops may be a necessary formality. Not sure yet though. I look sleek.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They aren't a necessary formality, that's why there are none

BSullivan

Reaction score
but what if a partner says "where is your belt, you little sh*t?"

I know, I know. This is just unchartered territory for me. I suppose that given that i'm 6'1 and my legs look as though they belong to a man of 5'9 or 5'8, the absence of a belt will serve to lengthen the appearance of my legs. Or something.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just keep the fabric they trim off when they adjust the pants. If you want to add belt loops, you can do so with this fabric your leisure.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase! You are going to LOVE the suit.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you check the pockets? I had one such suit some time ago that actually came with the sewn belt loops in the back pocket.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
embrace the lack of belt.

BSullivan

Reaction score
checked pockets, no dice. not a big deal. i'm a big boy now.

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
I had a partner ask me about the lack of belt loops on my RLPL suit. I responded with shock that he had never owned a suit with side adjusters instead of belt loops. Always keep them on the defensive, that' my motto.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
You'll notice buttons on the inside of the pants. Those are for suspenders.

What if he notices belt loops on the inside of the pants instead. Now that would blow my mind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads