• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did I tailor this well? How could improve on it?

dapperdondublin

Reaction score
Did I tailor this well? How could improve on it?
2afterOCBD.jpg
4afterOCBD.jpg
6afterOCBD.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not a tailor, perhaps @Despos or @Shirtmaven can/will comment.
Did you make the shirt or alter an OTR shirt?
To my eye there is a lot to like. I'd suggest the following but again this is based on no actual shirtmaking experience: 1) sleeves are short; 2) are the sleeves tight in the elbow/forearm area? 3) you could maybe use a little more room across your chest; 4) you could possibly narrow the shoulders a touch; 5) are the armholes a little small?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jeans or the shirt?

if the former, let me just say your ass is magnificent!

dapperdondublin

Reaction score
not a tailor, perhaps @Despos or @Shirtmaven can/will comment.
Did you make the shirt or alter an OTR shirt?
To my eye there is a lot to like. I'd suggest the following but again this is based on no actual shirtmaking experience: 1) sleeves are short; 2) are the sleeves tight in the elbow/forearm area? 3) you could maybe use a little more room across your chest; 4) you could possibly narrow the shoulders a touch; 5) are the armholes a little small?
Yes OTR M&S OCBD in mustard. It was my first attempt at altering a shirt I just took in the sides and I also sewed over the box pleat to eliminate it.
It does perhaps feel a little tight in the armpits but pretty comfortable.
The chest area is ok I could let it out a bit in that area I guess.
Why do you say the sleeves are short? I always thought they are supported to break at the wrist? Also does it make sense to shorten one sleeve more than the other to accommodate a diving watch?
Also how do I go about narrowing the shoulders?
Thanks for your help :)

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh okay, I thought maybe you had made the shirt. There isn't anything you can do to narrow the shoulders in that case.
The sleeve length is probably fine on second thought.
For a large watch usually the cuff diameter has to be increased a bit compared to the other wrist. For an OTR shirt you can move the cuff button over.

dapperdondublin

Reaction score
oh okay, I thought maybe you had made the shirt. There isn't anything you can do to narrow the shoulders in that case.
The sleeve length is probably fine on second thought.
For a large watch usually the cuff diameter has to be increased a bit compared to the other wrist. For an OTR shirt you can move the cuff button over.
Ah ok cool. I was thinking of learning how to add darts to the shirt to narrow it at the back. There seems to be some fabric bunching up just above my jeans in that photo; maybe its possible to narrow it at that particular spot with darts?
Good advice on the cuff button I will do that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads