• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did I ruin my shoes?

Krawczak

Reaction score
I scored some halfway decent shoes (Mario Bruni) at a thrift store, and I was very happy with my find ($4!). Being thrift store shoes, they were a bit scuffed up, and required a little TLC.

I hit them with some brown Kiwi, but it darkened them considerably. Perhaps I'm picky, but I find that the new shade turns them from shoes that I was ecstatic to find for $4 into shoes that I would pay exactly $4 for. I liked the old color a LOT.

My question is, is there a way to fix this? I've seen people on this forum talk about stripping shoes with alcohol or acetone, but I don't want to strip all the finish off, just the crap that I put on there. If I switch to neutral shoe polish, will the color fade out or wear off over time?

I hope I get good news, because right now I am, as they say, bummed.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before stripping I would liberally apply leather conditioner (lexol or similar -- it should not contain mink oil, which will darken). This will be good for the shoes and will take off a good bit of the surface polish. It won't go as far as stripping them but it may remove the excess that is bothering you. You can use neutral (it will flake after drying at first, in the creases, just brush it off) or a shade lighter than the actual shoe to prevent darkening.

Krawczak

Reaction score
That is good news, thank you! I know they aren't bespoke Bestettis or anything, but I liked them a lot. I'm glad to know there's still hope.

Regards,
Alexander

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics