• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did I ruin my new shoes?

500deadlift

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just bought a new pair of Loake 1880 in Tan Calf
DSC_3462.jpg
I decided to condition, cream and polish them. I used all Saphir products: Renovateur, light-brown cream and then light-brown wax. I noticed one side of the right shoe has turned 'dark'. When i run my finger across that part it feels like soft leather and not like silky polished leather. Have I ruined my shoes? and What could I possible do to correct this.
DSC_3497.jpg

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe just need to dry/be buffed out?

But, no snark on my part, why did you give your new shoes a good cleaning and polish anyway--they were new right? Couldn't you just gently buffed the toe box and gotten away with a decent shine?
uhoh.gif

beachape

Reaction score
Looks like you put on way too much wax. Also the conditioner may not have dried, or the cream polish may have not dried before you waxed them. Either way you have too much product caked on. Probably the best solution would be to let them dry, then buff them with an off brush for a long while. If you really can't get the wax off that way, you may want to use a leather cleaner like lexol or the sort to get all that wax off.

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by qbessi
I just bought a new pair of Loake 1880 in Tan Calf

DSC_3462.jpg

I decided to condition, cream and polish them. I used all Saphir products: Renovateur, light-brown cream and then light-brown wax. I noticed one side of the right shoe has turned 'dark'. When i run my finger across that part it feels like soft leather and not like silky polished leather.

Have I ruined my shoes? and What could I possible do to correct this.

DSC_3497.jpg

I don't think you ruined them but I do agree with all those above who said you put on too much stuff. Not only that, personally I would say it's not even necessary to put on that many different products - but on this I know that opinions differ.

In my personal experience a high quality natural wax, some mild soapy water and the occasional use of leather cleaner will suffice for most situations.

To help your personal situation: as said above, try to let the shoes dry for a number of days (without any artificial heat, of course) and then go from there.

Good luck
Reto

500deadlift

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies!.

I've left them to dry for a few hours now and it looks "better".

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just buff the hell out of them with a horse hair brush. Despite popular opinions, leather can take a pretty fair amount of abuse! Don't worry too much (if worst comes to worst, you could send them to Ron Rider who I am sure could fix 'em). I doubt that it will get to that point. Not sure if you are new at the whole shoe cleaning thing, but wax can be used VERY sparingly. You do not need to gob it on.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can also try to stripping the wax and start again. can use the search function to find a thread about that.

500deadlift

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have decided to use leather cleaner on the shoes and then cream, cream, polish, buff, buff, buff Will not go away
frown.gif

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my experience leather takes color like that when it's not properly finished. That, or you rubbed it so hard that you abraded the surface enough for it to soak in the dye. Also, it was almost certainly stained by the cream and not the wax. Saphir wax doesn't have much dye in it.

I'm not sure how you'd go about fixing it, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads