• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did I rip myself off?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I just won a Tom James custom shirt on eBay for $34.

It is a part of Oxxford as far as I understand. Is it worth the $34? Ad said it is a $225 shirt... not sure I believe it's quite that high.

Good buy?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
I just won a Tom James custom shirt on eBay for $34.

It is a part of Oxxford as far as I understand. Is it worth the $34? Ad said it is a $225 shirt... not sure I believe it's quite that high.

Good buy?

If you mean a new shirt that that will make for you, yes good deal. If yuo mean a used shirt that was made for someone else, not so good.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
If you mean a new shirt that that will make for you, yes good deal. If yuo mean a used shirt that was made for someone else, not so good.

It says it's new, and it's my size.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
No. You bought a shirt custom made for someone else. Bad buy.

eh.gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buying custom or mtm shirts secondhand is risky unless you get many measurements.

This was made for a particular person who is not you.

'Size' for most people means only neck and sleeve length, when it comes to shirts. But the measures that make a shirt fit well or badly are many, many more.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Buying custom or mtm shirts secondhand is risky unless you get many measurements.

This was made for a particular person who is not you.

'Size' for most people means only neck and sleeve length, when it comes to shirts. But the measures that make a shirt fit well or badly are many, many more.

D'oh. Can I ask the seller to re-list? Is that in poor form?

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
D'oh. Can I ask the seller to re-list? Is that in poor form?

You can ask. It would be poor form.

Regards.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks like it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3AIT&viewitem=

Well, it's not new and it looks to be MTM. Measurements seem normal, if a bit baggy in the chest, for a 16.5. As long as the sleeves fit, they seem an inch or two smaller than normal, I wouldn't worry about it. You did not get snookered, but I wouldn't call this a great deal.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. You bought a shirt custom made for someone else. Bad buy.

I don't know that it's any worse than buying OTR. After all, an OTR shirt is essentially a custom shirt made for nobody, whose only identifying measurements are neck circumference and sleeve length. There's no reason why the dimensions of an average OTR shirt should fit him more closely than someone else's MTM.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Less risk, I should think.

I guess that's true, in the sense that you can know more or less that a BB OTR shirt is blousy and certain other shirts will be slimmer. In any event, with measurements listed in the auction, one can take into account those details and ascertain fit (discounting, of course, finer points such as shoulder shape and sleeve pitch).

My only point, to which I would guess you'd agree, is that there's nothing inherently problematic about buying someone else's MTM -- as long as there are enough details to ascertain things like sleeve length, chest circumference, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads