• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did I overpay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortput

Reaction score
So I bought a pre-owned Corneliani Linea Sartoria suit off eBay for ~$260.

1) The seller is reputable (100% positive feedback)
2) The measurements match mine exactly.
3) I *think* these retail for ~$1600 brand new?
4) It says no defects, flaws, etc.
5) 30 day return policy, so it's easy to fix at least.

The thing is, I don't know what these go for used, so this was just kind of a yolo purchase. Any thoughts? Would you buy it for $260? Are they out-of-style or something? :O

koolmoose

Reaction score
I don't know much about suits, but for $260 down from $1600 that doesn't sound bad at all

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Can't really tell if it is out of style or not without a picture.

But if you like it, everything else is probably irrelevant. Corneliani is a good brand.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a word of advice - you usually get better answers if you post a picture directly on Styleforum. Using the picture icon and you can just follow the instructions to upload a picture.

Another note about that suit: It is not made to have the top button buttoned. That is what is called a 3 roll 2 jacket, and only the middle button is meant to be used.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It looks pretty dated. I'd guess around 20 years old (judging from lapel shape, hard 3 button, and the pleats). You could probably get an accurate estimation of age in the thrift thread; they're pretty good at that.

If it doesn't bother you, keep it. I'd probably return it and wait for something more recent.

---

LA Guy, that doesn't look like a 3r2 to me. Lapels lie too cleanly, I think, were that the case. Something is up with its right side, but it's all along that side, so I doubt it's being caused by buttoning the top button where it shouldn't be buttoned.

On the other hand, it would explain the odd lapel shape

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks pretty dated. I'd guess around 20 years old (judging from lapel shape, hard 3 button, and the pleats). You could probably get an accurate estimation of age in the thrift thread; they're pretty good at that.

If it doesn't bother you, keep it. I'd probably return it and wait for something more recent.

---

LA Guy, that doesn't look like a 3r2 to me. Lapels lie too cleanly, I think, were that the case. Something is up with its right side, but it's all along that side, so I doubt it's being caused by buttoning the top button where it shouldn't be buttoned.

On the other hand, it would explain the odd lapel shape
I looked up the company, and found that "The Fells" closed in 2007.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2007-10-09/news/0710090024_1_winnetka-chamber-suits-store-s-fate

going the same way as many old menswear stores of its ilk. I would agree that the suit is pretty old, judging from the style. The guys in the thrift thread are pretty amazing at being able to date a garment: http://www.styleforum.net/t/480919/...thread-part-ii-return-to-the-thunderdome/0_50 and they are pretty friendly.

I can do denim and leather pretty well, but older suiting, I can't do nearly as well as some of the guys on that thread.

pi34

Reaction score
To me, it sounds like it may be a bit high. I also have a habit recently of lucking out and buying garments at like 80-90% off, so that I can dress like someone living on Central Park while spending less on clothing than I would at J. Crew.

Anyways, here's my tip [and, if you are aware of it, maybe it will help someone else]. On eBay, under "more refinements" there is a way to show "Sold Listings." That should give you a good idea. Now, I don't know what size you *actually* wear, but I saw a good range of new Corneliani suits go for $400-$500. Again, that would be up to your decision whether that is worth the bump up in cost, but 50% of that for a used suit seems high IMO.

shortput

Reaction score
Yeah, the Corneliani Trend and CC (half-canvassed) are their budget end suits, they are generally ~$500. Mainlines brand new can be 750-1200. Given the age of this suit, it probably was overpriced by about 20% but hey, it was a yolo purchase haha

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll see how it fits and looks, since that's the bottom line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads