1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Did I overpay?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by shortput, Mar 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shortput

shortput Member

So I bought a pre-owned Corneliani Linea Sartoria suit off eBay for ~$260.

1) The seller is reputable (100% positive feedback)
    2) The measurements match mine exactly.
    3) I *think* these retail for ~$1600 brand new?
    4) It says no defects, flaws, etc.
    5) 30 day return policy, so it's easy to fix at least.

The thing is, I don't know what these go for used, so this was just kind of a yolo purchase. Any thoughts? Would you buy it for $260? Are they out-of-style or something? :O

2. koolmoose

koolmoose Member

I don't know much about suits, but for $260 down from $1600 that doesn't sound bad at all

1 person likes this.
  3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Can't really tell if it is out of style or not without a picture.

But if you like it, everything else is probably irrelevant. Corneliani is a good brand.

1 person likes this.
  4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Just a word of advice - you usually get better answers if you post a picture directly on Styleforum. Using the picture icon and you can just follow the instructions to upload a picture.

Another note about that suit: It is not made to have the top button buttoned. That is what is called a 3 roll 2 jacket, and only the middle button is meant to be used.

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

It looks pretty dated. I'd guess around 20 years old (judging from lapel shape, hard 3 button, and the pleats). You could probably get an accurate estimation of age in the thrift thread; they're pretty good at that.

If it doesn't bother you, keep it. I'd probably return it and wait for something more recent.

---

LA Guy, that doesn't look like a 3r2 to me. Lapels lie too cleanly, I think, were that the case. Something is up with its right side, but it's all along that side, so I doubt it's being caused by buttoning the top button where it shouldn't be buttoned.

On the other hand, it would explain the odd lapel shape

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I looked up the company, and found that "The Fells" closed in 2007.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2007-10-09/news/0710090024_1_winnetka-chamber-suits-store-s-fate

going the same way as many old menswear stores of its ilk. I would agree that the suit is pretty old, judging from the style. The guys in the thrift thread are pretty amazing at being able to date a garment: http://www.styleforum.net/t/480919/...thread-part-ii-return-to-the-thunderdome/0_50 and they are pretty friendly.

I can do denim and leather pretty well, but older suiting, I can't do nearly as well as some of the guys on that thread.

7. pi34

pi34 Senior member

To me, it sounds like it may be a bit high. I also have a habit recently of lucking out and buying garments at like 80-90% off, so that I can dress like someone living on Central Park while spending less on clothing than I would at J. Crew.

Anyways, here's my tip [and, if you are aware of it, maybe it will help someone else]. On eBay, under "more refinements" there is a way to show "Sold Listings." That should give you a good idea. Now, I don't know what size you *actually* wear, but I saw a good range of new Corneliani suits go for $400-$500. Again, that would be up to your decision whether that is worth the bump up in cost, but 50% of that for a used suit seems high IMO.

8. shortput

shortput Member

Yeah, the Corneliani Trend and CC (half-canvassed) are their budget end suits, they are generally ~$500. Mainlines brand new can be 750-1200. Given the age of this suit, it probably was overpriced by about 20% but hey, it was a yolo purchase haha

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll see how it fits and looks, since that's the bottom line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.