• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did I Over Condition My Boots?

Z-Man

Reaction score
Hi Folks, "Long time listener, first time caller." I have a pair of Frye Engineers in Gaucho which I have had since last year. I recently conditioned/waterproofed them (2 days ago) with pure lanolin, and I have noticed that they have really wrinkled a lot walking around Manhattan, with small spyderweb patterns appearing where they hadn't before, well, at least more "profoundly" than they had. Is this normal? This is my first pair of pull on boots with this sort of leather and I do not know what to expect. I have read warnings about overconditioning causing the leather to crack and dry out, just want to make sure I haven't done that. The leather at least on the ankle part where I can bend it feels flexible, I am hoping the added suppleness just let the leather crinkle up more, but I really am unsure. Pics for reference: This wrinkle near the sole has shown up recently:
5584136020_f3eac6f92c_b.jpg
This is the most wrinkled part, and is only really exaggerated like this on one boot, much more so than the other. It had a lot of the sort of "spider web" pattern when new, just has gotten a little more profound in the last two days.
5583547101_4b70e37328_b.jpg
And the top of the toe:
5583547357_c99d0b0573_b.jpg

alexanduh

Reaction score
looks very dried out imo.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frye's aren't of high quality leather, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't respond well to conditioning.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Clarks Desert Boots Ecostyle M in a Walnut color similar to that. Wore them without conditioning and they kind of spiderweb/crease like that although not as bad. I've since used Conditioner and wax to shine them up a bit and they still have that effect. Could just be the leather. Clarks aren't exactly top-quality/expensive either

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like poor leather. I'd try a beeswax based conditioner - I've not been impressed with Lanolin.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorman
Wow, I never thought that "over-conditioning" would result in drying up leather. How do you know you're putting too much? I usually apply Obenauf LP on my Filson like every two or so weeks.
This isn't an example of over-conditioning. It's an example of ****** leather. Frye's and Clark's DBs are crap and don't wear well. If you have low quality, porous leather, no amount of Obenauf's will help. If anything, too much conditioning will make leather darker and more saturated. That said, conditioning every two weeks does sound a bit unnecessary.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
No, they're just ****** boots.

jimmyfingers

Reaction score
****** boots.

Good quality leather really doesn't need to be conditioned that much. Every 2 weeks is crazy.

poorman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meso
This isn't an example of over-conditioning. It's an example of ****** leather. Frye's and Clark's DBs are crap and don't wear well. If you have low quality, porous leather, no amount of Obenauf's will help. If anything, too much conditioning will make leather darker and more saturated. That said, conditioning every two weeks does sound a bit unnecessary.

Also a bit exaggerated. I know I've done it at least once a month though. I suppose it's not necessary if it isn't obvious then?

thanks for the info!

omgcookielol

Reaction score
I can't see the images that you've posted, but I've got a bit of advice.
If the boots already seem destroyed, scratch at the 'spiderweb' cracks. If you did overcondition the boots, the webbing you're seeing may just be excess conditioner and dirt that has built up on the surface.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads