• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did I just get scammed?

stevey d.

Reaction score
Like a dog who gets fooled by the same trick every single time, at least once every thrifting trip, I get fooled by the Sean John label, thinking that its Ralph Lauren Purple.
Sometimes I misread Harbour for Barbour , but this was a real punch in the ol' gut.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Like a dog who gets fooled by the same trick every single time, at least once every thrifting trip, I get fooled by the Sean John label, thinking that its Ralph Lauren Purple.
Sometimes I misread Harbour for Barbour , but this was a real punch in the ol' gut.

I'm so used to seeing this kind of thing all the time, however Value Village is a US retailer, and they're selling illegal knock-offs? Wouldn't the ICE(Immigration and Customs Enforcement) people have something to say about it?

Last edited:

bubba04

Reaction score
LOL, lovin' this too. Keep 'em comin', guys! :slayer:

ETA: Sorry, OP... :embar:

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

some Ermeneguildo Zegna Rip off I saw at a new high end fashion mall right next to real versace, lacoste and cerruti 1881. chinese people just don't give a ****

Yay!!! Frognie Zila is coming to town, at a big shiny new "upscale" shopping mall. :slayer:

However it says "Frongnie Zila", just above "Spellin". Looks like there's some real big names in luxury coming though. Although Gieves & Hawkes opening a store in Xilinhot, I'll believe that when I see it.

Spotted it on a billboard this afternoon, and immediately thought of this thread.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Calvin Klein socks.

Did I get scammed?

newyorknoir

Reaction score
Borrelli uses a pink look to keep the tie back blades in place - located about 2" underneath the Borrelli label on the back. Is it there?

I guess this isn't necessarily uniform with the newer Borrelli ties, perhaps? I just bought one from the boutique on Madison with a green thread.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am new to this forum so excuse me if I come off as a bit newbish. I recently purchased a Borrelli tie off of Ebay and I was just wondering if it sounded legit. It seems to have the actual logo but other than that I am not sure how to authenticate it as a genuine Luigi Borrelli tie. Are there any nuances of the tie that can relate to an authentic Borrelli? Also, I own a few ties "Made in China" and they all seem to be soft and drape elegantly when hanging. This Borrelli tie actually feels a bit stiff and has sort of rumples on the face of the tie. Does this sound odd or is this normal with these ties?

Sorry for being so nit-picky but I want to make sure my hard earned money is being invested into a quality item. Thanks in advance!
It sounds like someone may have taken advantage of a brand-whore by selling fake ties.

Pawz

Reaction score
Met an EBAYer who was simply unpleasant.

ME: What is the store this came from? I.e., Saks, Neiman Marcus, Nordstroms, Bergdorf, Marshall's, TJ Maxx, or an Armani Boutique?

EBAYer: Good Morning. What is the difference for you? This is 1000% genuine scarf.Thank you and Best Regards.

ME: I didn't ask about the legitimacy of the scarf. Care to answer the question or should I buy (another person's) Zegna scarf instead? I'm sure (its seller) will answer all my questions.

EBAYer: None of my items came from this stores. I have my own sources, mostly wholesaler's. Thank you.

ME: All right. It's helpful to know the origin since some designs, variations, etc., are indigenous to certain locations (hence the initial inquiry).

EBAYer: Thank you for your interest. Regards.

Is this guy a robot or what?

Item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400-NWT-Aut...45267?pt=US_Scarves_Wraps&hash=item27cbc71073

I like Armani, but I don't want this guy to have any of my money.

Last edited:

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of people don't want to say where they got it because the person asking could just go pick it up from the source than from the ebayer, or even worse, become another competitor.

Pawz

Reaction score
A lot of people don't want to say where they got it because the person asking could just go pick it up from the source than from the ebayer, or even worse, become another competitor.

And I would have accepted that if not for the attitude I received. It's over now, anyway. :)

I was sort of hoping the seller bought it for themselves and decided they'd rather sell it.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ME: What is the store this came from? I.e., Saks, Neiman Marcus, Nordstroms, Bergdorf, Marshall's, TJ Maxx, or an Armani Boutique?
EBAYer: Good Morning. What is the difference for you? This is 1000% genuine scarf.Thank you and Best Regards.
ME: I didn't ask about the legitimacy of the scarf. Care to answer the question or should I buy (another person's) Zegna scarf instead? I'm sure (its seller) will answer all my questions.
EBAYer: None of my items came from this stores. I have my own sources, mostly wholesaler's. Thank you.
ME: All right. It's helpful to know the origin since some designs, variations, etc., are indigenous to certain locations (hence the initial inquiry).
Item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400-NWT-Aut...45267?pt=US_Scarves_Wraps&hash=item27cbc71073

It seems to me that you tried to take the "high and mighty customer" approach, and "EBAYer" handed you your arse.

This ^^^^

And I would have accepted that if not for the attitude I received. It's over now, anyway.
smile.gif

I was sort of hoping the seller bought it for themselves and decided they'd rather sell it.

That's funny; in reading this, my impression was that YOU had the attitude. That's the problem with communicating through text. You never really know the other person's sentiment. Hopefully, you found the item at a decent price.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Heh...That sounds like the kind of Armani we have here. "100% AUTHENTIC!!!!!!!!!!, we have our own sources, comes from many wholesalers, MADE IN ITALY!!!!!!!!!!!!. Thank you and best regards." ...that's pretty much all you're likely to get from them, because their English can be very limited, aka sounding like a robot.

Last edited:

CosmeDaniel

Reaction score
That's funny; in reading this, my impression was that YOU had the attitude. That's the problem with communicating through text. You never really know the other person's sentiment. Hopefully, you found the item at a decent price.

I'd agree with Vinny's initial assessment.

Looking at the sellers history only shows one non-positive (it was neutral) feedback where the buyer questioned the authenticity. Otherwise he's got a pretty good feedback rating.

The RN number on the tag returns "GIORGIO ARMANI CORPORATION" as the manufacturer (according to the FTC) so if it is a fake at least they put in enough effort to have the tag match Armani's number.

Did the OP ever respond as to his final determination on the authenticity?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads