Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Did I just get scammed?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Pickles1, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Pickles1

Pickles1 New Member

Hello! I am new to this forum so excuse me if I come off as a bit newbish. I recently purchased a Borrelli tie off of Ebay and I was just wondering if it sounded legit. It seems to have the actual logo but other than that I am not sure how to authenticate it as a genuine Luigi Borrelli tie. Are there any nuances of the tie that can relate to an authentic Borrelli? Also, I own a few ties "Made in China" and they all seem to be soft and drape elegantly when hanging. This Borrelli tie actually feels a bit stiff and has sort of rumples on the face of the tie. Does this sound odd or is this normal with these ties?

Sorry for being so nit-picky but I want to make sure my hard earned money is being invested into a quality item. Thanks in advance!

2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Sounds 100% fake from your description. Lots of Borrelli counterfeiters on the Bay these days. They feed off Borrelli's household name.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

3. GBR

GBR Senior member

Probably fake - but why ask after the event - buyer's remorse strikes?

Try a bricks and mortar shop next time.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Borrelli uses a pink look to keep the tie back blades in place - located about 2" underneath the Borrelli label on the back. Is it there?

5. SamG-

SamG- Active Member

Probably fake.
    I bought a Gucci shirt from Amazon last year and it just didn't feel right the material was quite coarse didn't have the distinct feel of a premium shirt.
    I simply told my Credit card company that the goods were in dispute and they refunded the money to my account. I sent an email to the seller explaining this and for the address to resend it to.
    I Googled the address to find a shoddy looking house not the place which inspires trust.
    Be wary and if you bought it on the credit card get them to refund your money back.

6. NORE

NORE Senior member

*runs home to check Borrelli ties*

7. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

[​IMG]

8. plei89

plei89 Senior member

I haven't ever seen any fake Borrelli Napoli items... It's such a niche brand, that the profit margins are not worth it. Also, anyone who buys it, would be able to tell in a heartbeat from craftsmanship.

What I'm thinking is you might've mistakened it for another brand, which has the word "Borrelli" in it.

9. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

That often happens. A good example are the cheap "Bianco Brioni" suits that are sometimes seen on Ebay. People buy them thinking they've got the Italian Brioni, when in fact they have not.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yep, looks real from here.

11. dks202

dks202 Senior member

How does "stiff and rumples" make it sound fake? He has other ties made in China, not this one.

12. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

13. NORE

NORE Senior member

*runs back home to check again because of not knowing what a pink look was*

14. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I just made a post about the fact that these "Italian" B. Brioni suits are still being sold by Amazon.
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/204928/brioni-for-149#post_5557843

I don't normally think of a reputable company like Amazon for selling obvious knock-offs, but apparently they do,.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bianco-Brioni...&qid=1340980919&sr=8-1&keywords=bianco+brioni
    "Bianco Brioni Made in Italy".....haha.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

15. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Well technically they aren't knock offs. The founder of that firm's name could very well be "Bianco Brioni". Now if they started selling under the "Brioni Roma" line or just "Brioni" then i can see where there would be an issue.