• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

did I do the right thing?

twin8885

Reaction score
Hey, so i got a pair of pure blue xx-005 in black from BIG. This is my first pair of unsanfornized denim, so I don't know what to do. I took them to my tailor and told her just to leave it 4 inches to long and that I will cuff them. I figured that way when I wash them they will be ok. Did I do the right thing?

Or should I do a soak when I get them back? I have never soaked a pair of jeans, but I am sort of worried about losing to much indigo. If I decide to soak them, what is the correct way to do that?

Thanks!

Reaction score
soak 4 hours, drip dry

Badseeds

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh man, you could ask BIG to hem it. They have a vintage Union Special chainstitcher!

twin8885

Reaction score
Do you think I need to soak them DDML or can I just wear them.

Reaction score
i would definitely soak unsanforized denim. you may not need to cuff 'em afterward. don't worry about indigo loss.

twin8885

Reaction score
ok then ill do that. Sorry for all the arrogant questions, but I want to make sure I dont mess this up. If they are sorta tight in the waist now, will they stretch back out after I soak them? Or can I wear them in the shower?

ddohnggo

Reaction score
if it's dry unsanforized jeans, then the jeans will shrink 2" or so in the waist after a soak. did you size down?

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Just soak them luke-warm, they will strech out even if they are tight now. You want to make sure to soak before wearing 'cause the legs will twist, and your wear marks will shift, so you want to get that out of the way before anything gets set in stone.

Miles

Reaction score
1. Get the back from your tailor.

2. Soak them at home. Don't worry about the indigo loss. Soaking is easy -- just submerge them in water. For lots of shrinking, hot water is better. Less shrinking, use colder water. Anywhere between 1.5 - 3 hours should be fine.

3. While somewhat wet, make sure you them on and close the top button. If they're too small after soaking, you can stretch the denim (either by wearing or pulling) while still wet.

4. Airdry until they are bone-dry. This usually takes a few days. Some more inventive people have used a fan to some success. Really though, make sure they are completely dry.

5. Bring them back to BiG and have them hem to your desired length.

flsxik

Reaction score
that fan drying techniqe has been mastered by mike lowery of superfuture. He claims he can full soak and get the jeans dry in about 45 minutes. I really wanna try it too. Once superfuutre is up, you should search for his thread about the skulls. He takes a few pics in there. Its pretty neat

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I have asked this on ST, but never saw the answer...will BiG hem my online order if I ask?

twin8885

Reaction score
yea they will hem for free on online orders.

I just didnt think it was worth mailing the jeans back to them. If they havent shipped yet you can ask them to do it before they do.

Max

Reaction score
No way in hell you're getting a pair of jeans dry in 45 minutes with a fan. Last night I soaked my jeans, then wrung most of the water out of them. Took 11 hours for them to dry with a fan pointed at them.

Reaction score
max, you should have seen his set up-----it was truly a marvel. the fan was not merely pointed at the jeans, but the forced air was masterly funneled through them!

i dry my jeans in a small room with a dehumidifier. takes about 6 hours.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads