• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did anyone get a Wii?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm curious what you guys think about it.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep - along with SMB: Banana Blitz, Zelda, and Trauma Center.

I think it has a great deal of potential to be the most entertaining video game system I've played in many, many years. The controls definitely take some getting adjusted to - SMB damned near gave me instantaneous carpal tunnel syndrome and I very tensely (I dont know why) hold the chuk when playing certain portions of Zelda.

I'll be getting a PS3/360 after I've purchased a new HDTV as I feel at that point, I'll be actually enjoying them in the manner in which they were designed. For right now though, I think Zelda and catching up on some PS2 games (Bully, Marvel: UA) will keep me entertained for awhile.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not sure, I won't have it 'till Christmas. The reviews of Zelda are overwhelmingly gushing...most say it's the best one yet. However, some other games are getting knocked for their poor graphics compared to PS3 and 360.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just came home with it an hour or two ago after waiting on line at Nintendo World in NYC for 7 hours (My 8 year old has no idea how good of a Dad he has !!). The Wii Sports games that come with the console have very rudimentary graphics, but I think that is done on purpose both for the retro feel and also because those games are really just to aquaint you with the controls and maybe to be used as easy party games. Zelda is out of this world
worship.gif
worship.gif
I think Nintendo will be the clear winner this holiday season as they are getting units into people's hands at a fair price and the unit overperforms in terms of the wireless controls and the games that I have seen. I think their marketing dept. actually undersold this thing. The unit is beautiful to look at, its small, and looks like a high tech gadget which I appreciate since my son has a nice HT system in his room and this looks like it belongs, unlike the Gamecube. PS3 could be a winner, but the delivery delays and bugs in the system are leaving a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. Overall, I'd say the Wii is a homerun.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the PS3 will represent the beginning of the end of Sony's dominance in this market. There are just too many major problems with the PS3 and its launch to forgive:

-The backwards compatibility sucks, although it's not the end of the world since most have ps2. It still leaves a bad taste in peoples' mouths since it represents a broken promise.
-They don't upsample to 1080i for older HDTV sets that don't accept 720p, so they instead DOWNSAMPLE to 480p resulting in a fugly image.
-The high price.
-Production problems with blue-ray drives & cell processor = long time b4 everyone that wants one will have one.
-No killer-app launch titles.
-devs do not like coding for it.

MS on the other hand has a year's head-start, is finally going to have some japanese-style RPGs, and is a breeze to code for compared to the PS3. Backwards compatibility is sketchy but at least they were honest about that from the start. We should be seeing some great games very soon. Not to mention that unlike xbox1, they're already turning a profit on the actual console, which should mean they can drop the price soon, unlike sony who will be losing $240-$300 per console.

Wii is the wild-card, although i'm not sold on it since it only outputs 480p and i'm going to be playing on a huge screen. Still, it could be a lot of fun. Regardless, I'm waiting till after xmas since I can't be bothered to chase one down.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
-They don't upsample to 1080i for older HDTV sets that don't accept 720p, so they instead DOWNSAMPLE to 480p resulting in a fugly image.

It doesn't upsample...yet. I bet they fix it soon with a firmware upgrade. If not, I don't think it will be that big a deal. I have a pretty old Sony CRT that doesn't display 720p but it can receive a 720p and convert it to 1080i.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, it accepts GameCube games. The only one I ever play is Smash Brothers anyways. I hope they make a new one.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Nice, it accepts GameCube games. The only one I ever play is Smash Brothers anyways. I hope they make a new one.

Yep. It's slated for early 2007 release.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is Trauma Center? I have that on my DS and its really fun, but gets freakin hard in the later levels.
My little brother was getting a Wii but they were sold out everywhere in our town (and he went out at opeining yesterday morning).

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
How is Trauma Center? I have that on my DS and its really fun, but gets freakin hard in the later levels.
My little brother was getting a Wii but they were sold out everywhere in our town (and he went out at opeining yesterday morning).

Unlike PS3, expect the WII to be continually re-stocked throughout xmas. You just have to keep calling about it.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah thats what we were planning on doing, get one eventually.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
omg, I walk into my friend's room a few floors down and what's sitting next to her TV?

A WII!

Her roommate's boyfriend apparently works at Game Stop and bought one. She has it for the rest of the day.

Suddenly, the day has gotten better.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rarely play video games (perhaps 25 hours out of the year) but I will be buying a Wii for the sole purpose of playing the new Zelda game as soon as all the fuss dies down.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After seeing a recent South Park, I know Cartman will get one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics