• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dictate my taste in watches: Omega AT or longines MC

ProphetHammer

Reaction score
I'm troubled. I don't know what watch to pick so I thought I'd resort to taste of other to help settle the issue. I'm nearly evenly divided between the Longines Masters Collection Retrograde 41mm and the Omega Aqua Terra 42mm. The winner will probably be with a brown leather band. I've listed the price so you get an idea about the relative grey market worth of the timepieces.

movadobaby_2032_522655452
~$3.3k
movadobaby_2034_464240577
~$2.1k

I've just picked up a Breitling CA but would like something a little more subdued and casual. Something that will look nice with a white button down shirt and chinos on the weekend or something along those lines. Of course I'm only hoping to find the majority view with this thread, not have others decide which watch I should buy. I'm just curious what the prevailing sentiment is.

On less important front, I recently had a look at the Ebel 911 and the Hamilton Jazzmaster watches. I like them both. Judge for yourself.

movadobaby_2032_744135009
~$2.1k
movadobaby_2034_415452981
~$785

p.s. sorry about the mis-sized pics

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the omega for its simplicity, but I'm far from a watch guru.

ProphetHammer

Reaction score
I was considering that as well but the Mrs reckons the blue doesn't go well with the brown leather band. Apparently the Longines blue is more subdued so the contrast isn't as apparent. I don't mind the color contrast myself.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
among the four, i'd get the omega too- the longines looks way too busy and novelty-ish for me (and way overpriced too). the hamilton, imo, is an overpriced rebranded piece of generic junk, and i don't like ebel.

huy

Reaction score
Of those 2 I like the Omega better.

Whichever one you get, I recommend picking it up on a bracelet first to make it more versatile. A leather band is a lot cheaper to buy than a bracelet.

Star

Reaction score
Omega based on design aesthetics. The Longiness is too busy as already mentioned. You should also be able to swim with the Omega no problems but not sure about the others.

I should also disclose that I do have the AT in a blue dial so thats my bias.
smile.gif

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Longines is ****. I don't even know how those dials on the sides work, but I want to. Its busyness makes it perfect for a more casual watch; contrast it with the sparse elegance of a Movado. It'll be hard to read at a glance, though.

The Omega looks like a $70 Casio from Sears. It's just so dull and uninteresting. You'd be paying 2k for brand name in my opinion.

I find the other two ugly, to be frank.
Then again, they both cost more than my first car, so I might not be the best person to ask.

ProphetHammer

Reaction score
The Longines has retrograde movement on the hands at the 6 and 12. I'll tell you what, just go here to see the vid

I personally like the Longines' complication but was also thinking that the dial was a bit busy, and would be more so in person. I haven't actually physically seen that watch as they don't sell it in Australia. I also considered that it may be a bit overpriced.

The AT I thought was simple and elegant enough for what I was after. I take the point that I should get the steel bracelet as well, but the Omega deployment buckle which would go with a leather strap is over 300 by itself. After shelling out for the Breitling Ocean Racer strap I'm kind of over paying that for a buckle alone to be perfectly honest.... if I can't find a good buy on the strap I'd probably stick with the leather strap if I chose the AT.

acidicboy, how is the Hamilton rebranded crap? I think it's pretty good value for money. Can't say I share your sentiments about Ebel either I'm afraid.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProphetHammer

acidicboy, how is the Hamilton rebranded crap? I think it's pretty good value for money. Can't say I share your sentiments about Ebel either I'm afraid.

I guess I'm a bit harsh on my opinion. Though Hamilton shares the name of the old American brand Hamilton in name only. Swatch now owns the name and puts in their ETA movements there, as against the old Hamiltons that have in-house movement. Then again, you could also say the same about Longines I'm afraid, and to go further- Swatch does own Omega, too. My dislike of Ebel is a personal opinion.

ProphetHammer

Reaction score
Fair enough. Thanks for chiming in. So what did you think about the Tag?

rsgould

Reaction score
I like the Longines a lot but the Tag is nice too. What's the price difference?

ProphetHammer

Reaction score
I can pick up the Tag for 2975 - so roughly $300 which equates to about $450 Aus Dollars. So, from my perspective a hemisphere away, $450.

huy

Reaction score
For about 700 more than the Longines you can get a Jaeger LeCoultre. JLC Master Control
1398420.jpg
JLC Reverso Grand Taille
21037.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads