• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dick Cheney: Dressing Down

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting Robin Givhan article on Cheney at the Auschwitz memorial ceremony. I don't expect the guy to wear an ushanka (sp?), but a knit cap with "Dick Cheney" embroidered on it? Maybe he lost his luggage... Liberal bias? Pshaw.
smile.gif

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeez, how embarrassing. The worst part IMO is the hat. Cheney looks like he is dressed for attendance at one of last weekend's NFL games. Look at the guy to Cheney's right -- not that's a nice warm hat. I can't imagine Cheney would so terribly underdress on purpose though -- perhaps his advance people screwed up.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
That's one to file in the bizarro world file. One wonders what on earth he was thinking. But picture #2 in the enlargements is much more interesting anyway...
biggrin.gif

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not simply a fashion faux-paux; this is seriously embarrassing for American in general. Not only does it show a disrespect to foreign nations, but it also reinforces the notion that the Bush Team cares more about its Christian backers than those of different religions. This is a solemn occasion for Jews -- not just foreign Jews, but American Jews as well. To see Cheaney take it less than seriously is offensive. Would he have dressed this way if they had a ceremony at Mount Sinai (isn't that the name of the place Jesus was crucified?)?

Sorry, but that Parka could not have been that much warmer, if at all, than a proper overcoat -- the damn thing doesn't even cover his legs for God's sake.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to take away from serious comments, but I think you've been hanging around the styleforum too much, if you're referring to the Veep as "Cheaney." Â
biggrin.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
This is not simply a fashion faux-paux; this is seriously embarrassing for American in general.  Not only does it show a disrespect to foreign nations, but it also reinforces the notion that the Bush Team cares more about its Christian backers than those of different religions.  This is a solemn occasion for Jews -- not just foreign Jews, but American Jews as well.  To see Cheaney take it less than seriously is offensive.  Would he have dressed this way if they had a ceremony at Mount Sinai (isn't that the name of the place Jesus was crucified?)?
Well, speaking as a Christian, dressing poorly isn't a way to appeal to that base.

Mt. Sinai is where God gave the Ten Commandments to Moses and the Israelites (aka, the Jews). Jesus was crucified hundreds of miles away outside of Jerusalem on Golgotha (exact spot unknown). Mt. Sinai (exact spot unknown) is in the Sinai Peninsula.

As most evangelicals are very pro-Israeli (for complicated theological reasons), it would be unwise to offend Jews if you were hoping to appeal to the evangelical base.

[Disclaimer: I didn't vote for either of the two major candidates in November, so I don't have a dog in that hunt.]

Millerp

Reaction score
Seems he got the word for today's event. This from the AP:

Cheney's green parka and boots stand out at solemn ceremony

Friday, January 28, 2005

(01-28) 06:18 PST OSWIECIM, Poland (AP) --

Vice President Dick Cheney's utilitarian hooded parka and boots stood out amid the solemn formality of a ceremony commemorating the liberation of Nazi death camps, raising eyebrows among the fashion-conscious.

Cheney replaced the zipped-to-the-neck green parka he sported in Thursday's blowing snow and freezing wind with a more traditional black coat -- red tie and gray scarf showing underneath -- for his tour of Auschwitz on Friday.

Washington Post fashion writer Robin Givhan described Cheney's look at the sober and dignified 60th anniversary service as "the kind of attire one typically wears to operate a snow blower."

"Cheney stood out in a sea of black-coated world leaders because he was wearing an olive drab parka with a fur-trimmed hood," Givhan wrote in Friday's Post, also mocking Cheney's knit ski cap embroidered with the words "Staff 2001" and his brown, lace-up hiking boots. "The vice president looked like an awkward child amid the well-dressed adults," she said.

tdial

Reaction score
(johnnynorman3 @ Jan. 28 2005,08:57) This is not simply a fashion faux-paux; this is seriously embarrassing for American in general. Â Not only does it show a disrespect to foreign nations, but it also reinforces the notion that the Bush Team cares more about its Christian backers than those of different religions. Â This is a solemn occasion for Jews -- not just foreign Jews, but American Jews as well. Â To see Cheaney take it less than seriously is offensive. Â Would he have dressed this way if they had a ceremony at Mount Sinai (isn't that the name of the place Jesus was crucified?)?
Well, speaking as a Christian, dressing poorly isn't a way to appeal to that base. Mt. Sinai is where God gave the Ten Commandments to Moses and the Israelites (aka, the Jews). Jesus was crucified hundreds of miles away outside of Jerusalem on Golgotha (exact spot unknown). Mt. Sinai (exact spot unknown) is in the Sinai Peninsula. As most evangelicals are very pro-Israeli (for complicated theological reasons), it would be unwise to offend Jews if you were hoping to appeal to the evangelical base. [Disclaimer: I didn't vote for either of the two major candidates in November, so I don't have a dog in that hunt.]
I have to say something about Alan's post here that needs to be mentioned: Is Kermit's one button suit jacket a peak-lapel or a notch. It's very difficult to tell, but the lapel styling is wonderful, either way.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
No doubt that Cheney blew it. The key in a function like this is to dress in such a way that no one would think of commenting on what you're wearing. You dress as you would at a funeral. There shouldn't be a "what was he thinking?." nor a "lookin' sharp, Dick." Whether one likes them or not, the Bush gang generally dresses appropriately (if not stylishly). They dropped the ball on this one. The lesson that we push around here all the time is confirmed: what you wear matters.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Kermit's one button suit jacket a peak-lapel or a notch. It's very difficult to tell, but the lapel styling is wonderful, either way.
I love the purple. I had a fleece jacket by Royal Robbins in that color that I adored. I lost it during a Jeep ride between Khajuraho and Satna, while using it as a pillow. Must have slipped out from under my head. Anyone seen it? It was a size L.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Is Kermit's one button suit jacket a peak-lapel or a notch. It's very difficult to tell, but the lapel styling is wonderful, either way.
I believe it's a notch lapel. Kermit has fit issues that require him to go bespoke, shoes particularly. He also has to careful about coordinating with his coloring.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the movie "Bullworth"? That's what I thought of.

Kick it, Dick.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Nice, j.

Kermit's suit is definitely a notch lapel. Its clear on my screen.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would he have dressed this way if they had a ceremony at Mount Sinai (isn't that the name of the place Jesus was crucified?)?
There is debate where Christ was crucified but the leading candidates are Golgotha, Mount of Olives, near the Temple itself or just outside the city.

At any rate, I think he could have chosen a better outfit.

I am also happy to see that politics and religion can injected into every conversation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics