Diamond Engagement Ring

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by darkshades, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Omniphile

Omniphile Member

Is she the kind of girl who absolutely insists on a diamond?

Diamonds aren't even the traditional stone of choice for a betrothal. It was a hugely successful marketing ploy in the 50s by De Beers which made us think that way. So if she happens to have a favorite gemstone that isn't a diamond, you could probably even go with that.

Not to mention since carats are based on weight, and diamonds are denser than other gems, you could get a bigger stone for your carat.

2. runner-guy

runner-guy Senior member

Carat, well, get as big as you can while holding the other parameters reasonable. No one will ever complain about getting a bigger stone, but don't get a crappy quality one just to make it bigger. The price jumps tremendously at round numbers, so consider getting an 0.95 carat stone instead of 1.0 carats (etc), you'll save a lot of money.

I absolutely agree with this. The diamond I got for my wife is right around 0.8 carats and since she has small hands, the stone looks big. The prices do jump significantly once you hit 1 carat.

3. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Instead of buying a diamond, how about you go around killing little black children for a while? Now there's forever.

I love you.

4. LucasCLarson

LucasCLarson Senior member

Buy the largest synthetic diamond you can find and tell her that it's real. Period.

5. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I'm willing to hazard that 90% of the men who spend time seriously questioning the rationality or value of a diamond engagement ring are nowhere near getting engaged or married.

6. Trauma

Trauma Member

I did my research almost daily for 8months, so much so if seemed I knew more than some salesmen ( concerning the diamonds table, etc).

Find out what cut she wants and read up on the ideal dimensions of that cut. Size, color and clarity are important, but will tell you most women will want a larger stone and sacrifice in another area. For instance they would rather a 2.0carat "G" color and VS1 over a 0.65carat "E"color and VVS1.

7. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Buy the largest synthetic diamond you can find and tell her that it's real. Period.

This.

I bought her a fake rock and she eventually lost it. The ring.

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

I'm willing to hazard that 90% of the men who spend time seriously questioning the rationality or value of a diamond engagement ring are nowhere near getting engaged or married.

such a true statement

9. GanglandDandy

GanglandDandy Senior member

Since you've already schooled yourself on the 4Cs, you need to ask yourself..what are you going for? Quality or Size? Obviously you try to choose the best aspects of all 4Cs if you're looking for a quality diamond, as far as your dough would take you. If you're looking for size, you have to lower your standards on the color and clarity. Mafoofan is right about the cut. Spend more time on pricescope and bluenile as other posters indicated..you'll feel more at ease in a jewelry store next time. Happy flossing.

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

Is she the kind of girl who absolutely insists on a diamond?

Diamonds aren't even the traditional stone of choice for a betrothal. It was a hugely successful marketing ploy in the 50s by De Beers which made us think that way. So if she happens to have a favorite gemstone that isn't a diamond, you could probably even go with that.

Not to mention since carats are based on weight, and diamonds are denser than other gems, you could get a bigger stone for your carat.

I know you're just stating for sake of argument but I feel sad for anyone who would rationalize this way to their gf. I mean I feel sad for the gal for such a small-timer of a boyfriend (of the heart, not finances).

If she wants a diamond get her a diamond. Period.

11. GanglandDandy

GanglandDandy Senior member

I know you're just stating for sake of argument but I feel sad for anyone who would rationalize this way to their gf. I mean I feel sad for the gal for such a small-timer of a boyfriend (of the heart, not finances).

If she wants a diamond get her a diamond. Period.

Sho nuff. Pun intended. [​IMG]

12. derekzee

derekzee Well-Known Member

i have one at a little below 2 karats. it was my grandmother's then my mom's. still looks pretty classic but the band is broken because my mom loosened it when she got pregnant with my sister. i've had it looked at and the stone is a little yellowish as they say. should i buy a different one when the time comes or just have the band fixed? i'd like to set it on rose gold rather than yellow gold but i like the style of the band well enough to have it copied if ever.

13. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

Diamonds are a symbol that represent your ability to spend, they don't represent commitment,love,anything.

I don't know your financial situation, but the money could be better spent IMO.

14. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Diamonds are a symbol that represent your ability to spend, they don't represent commitment,love,anything.

I don't know your financial situation, but the money could be better spent IMO.

I agree. I think this applies to weddings as a whole. I'm still going to buy an engagement ring and have a wedding though.

15. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

I agree. I think this applies to weddings as a whole. I'm still going to buy an engagement ring and have a wedding though.

agreed, its damn hard to convince a woman to come along without atleast some concessions of this kind.

My wife and I got married, and bought our rings for somewhere around 5,000 total.